Tonight's homework for me is to write a reference letter, so I've decided to preface that task by blogging to get my writing groove going.
I haven't done a post about songs I'm enjoying at the moment lately, so there's no time like the present!
1) Gives you Hell - Glee Cast Version: Well, I've done it. I've downloaded my first Glee Cast Version of a song. This All Americans Rejects' song was on this week's *brand* *new* Glee episode, and it was definitely my favourite song of the show. I mean, c'mon, who doesn't wish they could belt this out to a boy/girl who burned you? Not that I've had any use for this song lately, but it's still highly enjoyable. Anyway, if you're not a Gleek, the original's fun too.
2) Fixed - Stars: In an earlier post, I mentioned that Stars was offering the first single from their upcoming June album for free. Now that I've had some time to listen to it lots, I can say that I love it. It's summery, and it's nice to hear a new Stars song where Amy sings to their lovely electo-pop music. I am very excited for the new album. June can't come soon enough for many reasons apparently!
3) Hey, Soul Sister - Train: I'll probably always have a soft spot for Train 'cuz they opened for Ben Folds Five the first and only time I got to see them. Most of their music is too cheesy for me, but I'll always have "Meet Virginia" and "Drops of Jupiter" on my iPod for sentimental reasons. Anyway, I caught this new one on the radio last time I was in Stratford (the only time I ever listen to the radio), and it's catchy and makes me think of summer, so I've been listening to it lately.
4) Take A Minute - K'naan: I love how much success this Somali-Toronto artist is having with his song "Wavin' Flag". He deserves it. "Take A Minute" is my favourite song from his great album "Troubadour" and it's a perfect song to listen to when you need to put stuff into perspective. It's my zen song. Oh, and I'd say it's summery.
5) Masterpiece Theatre, pt. 3 - Marianas Trench: "Masterpiece Theatre" is my guilty pop-punk pleasure album of the moment. It's been in heavy rotation since I got it, even if I do feel that I'm losing some music-snob cred for loving it so. It's a total concept album with a bit of a Queen influence, and it works well. There are some lovely vocal harmonies, folks. This is the closing track, and it's clever mash-up of the other songs on the album, and it's a great listen. All right, now I'm going to go paint my nails black and cake on some eyeliner. BRB.
6) Pretty much anything by Los Campesinos! - Because... Tuesday night I'm going to see them. Finally! I've been waiting for this show forever and ever. I am so excited! If I had to pick one song of theirs that I'd love to hear at the show, it would have to be "We Throw Parties, You Throw Knives" Well, that's the oldie. As for something new, I'd want to hear "This is a Flag. There is No Wind." because it's got the best opening line ever: "Can't we all please just calm the fuck down?"
Anyway, there are some fun songs for you to check out if you are so inclined. And... tomorrow's Friday! Woot! I have to say I'm really excited for this weekend 'cuz I've got some exciting plans. Saturday will be a day of work (boo) but on Friday night I've got sushi plans that I'm looking forward to, and then on Sunday, I'm showing a visiting friend around Toronto. My travel guide plans including going to Kensington Market, and eating a restaurant that's solely devoted to grilled cheese sandwiches. I've always wanted to try it, so I figure this is a good opportunity.
Have a great weekend everyone!