Tuesday, January 01, 2013

My Year in Lists: 2012 Concerts

I think 2012 will go down as the year I went to the most concerts ever.  I went to 29.  I don't think I can top that.  It's hard work seeing so many shows! 

I saw many of my absolute favourite artists this year, some more than once: Los Campesinos!, John K Samson of the Weakerthans (3x), Kathleen Edwards (2x), The Joel Plaskett Emergency (2x), Feist, Stars (2x), Ben Folds Five (reunion tour!), Sloan, and Hawksley Workman.

I also discovered some new artists this year too.  Standout new-to-me live acts from the past year are Rose Cousins, Patrick Watson, Fiona Apple, Beach House, and Rich Aucoin.

My absolute favourite show was, without a doubt, Sloan's "Twice Removed" album show from November.  It's rather memorable seeing a great band play your favourite album of theirs in its entirety and then treat you to an excellent second set of other material.

I love that I closed out 2012 and brought in 2013 with a show.  I saw Young Empires at Lee's Palace (fave TO concert location) and it was a really fun show.  The perfect end to a music-filled year.

Happy 2013 and here's to many more shows!

For posterity, here's my list of 2012 concerts.
  • Jan. 21st - Los Campesinos! @ Lee's Palace
  • Jan. 24th - John K. Samson @ Soundscapes
  • Jan. 31st - Jack's Mannequin @ The Sound Academy
  • Feb. 11th - Kathleen Edwards @ The Phoenix
  • March 22nd - John K. Samson @ The Great Hall
  • May 3rd - Rose Cousins @ The Rivoli
  • May 18th - Joel Plaskett Emergency at Queen Elizabeth Theatre
  • May 29th - Patrick Watson @ Danforth Music Hall
  • June 10th - Rufus Wainwright @ Luminato
  • June 16th - Dan Mangan & Kathleen Edwards @ Luminato
  • June 17th - Ohbijou @ Luminato
  • July 4th - Winnipeg Folk Festival with Snow Blink, James Vincent McMorrow, and FEIST
  • July 10th - Fiona Apple @ The Chicago Theatre
  • July 21st - Best Coast @ The Phoenix
  • Aug. 10/11 - Wolfe Island Music Festival
  • Sept. 6th - John K Samson @ 918 Bathurst
  • Sept 12th - Stars @ Masonic Temple
  • Sept. 20th - Rich Aucoin @ Lee's Palace
  • Oct. 13th - Beach House @ Kool Haus
  • Oct. 15th - Ben Folds Five @ Kool Haus
  • Oct. 25th - Dan Mangan and the Rural Alberta Advantage @ Danforth Music Hall
  • Oct. 26th - Wildnerness of Manitoba @ Trinity-St. Paul's
  • Nov. 1st - Die Antwoord @ Sound Academy
  • Nov. 22nd - Sloan @ The Phoenix (Twice Removed Tour!)
  • Nov. 24th - Metric & Stars @ Air Canada Centre
  • Dec 6th - Patrick Watson @ Massey Hall
  • Dec. 12th - Hawksley Workman @ Trinity-St. Paul's
  • Dec. 16th - The Joel Plaskett Emergency @ The Horseshoe Tavern
  • Dec. 31st - Young Empires @ Lee's Palace

1 comment:

Siobhan said...

So happy you went to see Patrick Watson - one of my favourite live bands of all time ever.

I am super jealous of all the live music you saw this year. I want to compete with you this year for that. So far I am due to see McFly and go to Lexapalooza in April but I think I need more variety!