Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Random Post.

1) I haven't finished a single book this year and it's halfway through January already.  I think I knocked myself out last year.

2) I am SO into David's Tea.  My current morning favourite is Chocolate Rocket - it's got chocolate, almonds, and raspberries.  You can really taste the raspberries.  It's classified as a "stimulant" - i.e. lots of caffeine.  My evening favourite is cookie dough; it's only low caffeine and doesn't mess with my sleeping.

3) I haven't had any white sugar since last Monday.  Can you believe it?  I also started with my personal trainer last week.  I like him, thank goodness.  The first two sessions were more about doing some assessments and slowing easing into things.  Today was a little bit more kickass.  I did pull-ups people, pull-ups.  Luckily it was with this neat machine that subtracts some of your body weight for you, but still.  Pull-ups.

On his advice, I'm easing into a paleolithic diet - lots of meats, eggs, nuts, veggies, and a bit of fruit.  No grains.  I haven't eaten a grain since last Friday!  However, I feel pretty good without them.

Luckily though, I do get a cheat meal once a week.  My first will be on Sunday, when I go to a birthday party for my friend Fea's daughter.  My friend Fea is the best party planner in the world (and I'm not exaggerating) so there will be quite the spread of food and baking.  I was kind of dreading it, thinking I'd have to stick to the veggie plate, and the roast pig.  When I told my trainer about it he let me in on the cheat meal secret.  Yay!

You may wonder why I am doing this.  Well, I want to build muscle, run faster, lose some weight, and be stronger.  Just a few more pull-ups and I'll be there.

4) I really like when someone makes you a thoughtful mixed-CD.  That rocks.

5) My favourite record label, Arts & Crafts, announced that they are doing a super awesome 10th anniversary show in June called Field Trip.  Feist and a reunited Broken Social Scene are going to be there with a slew of awesome bands.  So am I, obviously.  Thanks for the heads up Siobhan!  It's going to be epic.  (And I'm not throwing around that word in this case.)

6) I really enjoy my classes this semester.  We have less than two weeks together now.  I realize that I need to savour my time with them.  I had this realization while they were writing one of my legendary nine-page tests.  I give because I love.

7) You know, since I've been off white sugar, I've been in a great mood.  On Monday, a kid looked at me and said "Miss, why are you so happy?  It's Monday!"  I don't think that has ever happened.

8) I've also been trying to sleep more.  Like at least seven hours every night.  That could be helping too.

9) Well, I think I'm going to curl up with some tea and read a bit.  I don't want 2013 to go down as the year I couldn't even finish one book, ha-ha.


6 comments:

jason said...

happy mood on a monday? that hasn't happened to me... ever. glad you're feeling good these days though. i stopped at david's tea when i was in toronto the second to last time i was there. i'd never been before. they have pretty neat stores.

hope the happy mood continues this week.

Claire said...

Yay for mixed CDs, and healthiness and pull ups (you're a legend!).

wigsf3 said...

I remember the first time I did pull-ups. "I did one! I did one! ... What? Nine more. Nuts to that."

And based on your tea selection, I think it's safe to say you're getting enough sugar. Cookie dough tea?

Jabba said...

Rawbean gave me a David's Tea tester box with about 12 different teas in it - I think Chocolate Rocket is in there! I smelled the birthday cake one a few weeks ago in the store and it was too sweet - even for me!

Mixed tapes ARE great. I've made a few for Brad, although they aren't tapes - but cds. We should bring back those days!

Siobhan said...

Wow - pull ups are hard. And the plank. But they are worth it for the way it feels.

So glad to read this. I saw Field Day and wanted to go but was not in Toronto (or Canada) but thought I know who is! So glad you are going that kind of makes it better that I can't!

Miss Ash said...

Yay kudos on the pull ups!!

You were a total rock star last year reading all of those books so I think you deserve a bit of a break!