Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Spring Break!

Well, we don't really call it that in Canada. It's more often referred to as March Break.  Calling it Spring Break is too risky because it might just turn out to be a week of freezing cold snowstorms.  Looks like this year is taking that approach.

I didn't go away this year because it seems like I got back from my Christmas trip to the Dominican Republic just yesterday even though it was two months ago.  I'm saving my cash for summer trips.  So far a baseball trip to Chicago is confirmed.  I have tickets to see the Jays play the Cubs at Wrigley on a Friday afternoon and on a Sunday afternoon in August. On top of that, I plan to stick around for another day so that I can catch a White Sox game and knock two ballparks off in one year.

The week before March Break kind of sucked.  I was having an exceptionally good Wednesday: I went with a friend for a tattoo consultation (I'm getting inked on March 31st... ugh do people say that?) and then I went to see Matthew Good play his 1997 album Beautiful Midnight in its entirety. I'd been waiting to hear some of those songs for twenty years.

My phone buzzed in my pocket.  I thought it was Becca T texting me from Vancouver. She is my closest friend who likes Matt Good, and I texted her during the show because I was nostalgic from back in the day when she and I would see Matt Good shows together. Checking my phone was a bad idea because I got some shitty news that I had an inkling would be coming my way, but COME ON. What ever happened to checking if someone was out before unloading crap on them that isn't even suitable for a text message?

Let's just say my life is playing out like the situation with David Price in Boston. He left the Blue Jays for a big contract in Boston, but since he had a rough season, he feels sad because the whole city has been so hard on him and don't even care about him as a person, and ignore his charitable works. Now he's injured, and might be on the DL for Opening Day, and the Jays have one of the strongest starting rotations in baseball.  If you apply this analogy to my life, I am Toronto.  My analogy breaks down because Toronto did not make Price an offer (so he didn't really have the option to stay here), and the "Price" in my life is no effing David Price, that's for damned sure.  Anyway, I just look forward to my starting rotation having a great 2017.

Oh baseball, is there any problem you can't solve?

So, as my sad little heart is recovering, I've been having a chill March Break and it may be what I need. I went home to visit my parents for a couple of days, and had a nice time watching some World Baseball Classic games. Who know I loved the WBC so much? It's great! It's more exciting than spring training, that's for sure.

I'm now back in the cold, snowy city and after a killer workout, I've decided to stay in with Ms. Rilo and watch a movie and drink some red wine. I have social appointments for pretty much every day until the end of the break, so I think the quiet night will be a blessing, especially in this weather.

Maybe after "spring" break, we'll see some spring.

No comments: