Tuesday, January 31, 2006

If there's no one beside you when your soul embarks then I'll follow you into the dark.

There's been a lot of bitching about the TTC in the Toronto Star lately. Things like what are the worst routes, inconsiderate passengers and other general malcontentedness.

Well, here's my TTC rant. Why the hell does my station sell out of Metropasses?? I understand that my station is one of the few that accepts debit and credit cards, so you'd think it make sense to have more passes there. Apparently not. I got there quite early this afternoon to get my pass, and no luck. Gah. This probably means that I'll have to head up to Eglinton, get some cash, and buy my pass there. Grrrr. And they want more people to take transit.... Yeesh.

I tell you, my job is a heck of a lot easier when the kids are studying at home. We're on day 2 of exam week, and I've been able to organize my desk, my binders, my classroom - including all of the beakers and flasks I've been meaning to wash, and hang up a bunch of projects that I had the kids do. This morning one of my classes wrote an exam, so now I've gotta mark those.

I bought Corpse Bride after school. I love that movie. I think I'm gonna watch it tonight and then watch it tomorrow with Becca T. She refused to see it in theatres with me because it had too many corpses in it, but I made her promise to see it when it came out on DVD.

Oscar nominations came out today. It's my annual tradition to go see as many nominated movies as I can. The only best picture nominee that I've seen is Crash, which was good but I didn't get overly excited by it.

I just got finished watching last night's Daily Show on tape. I love that Jon Stewart pointed out that Oprah was far harsher on James Frey than most "serious" journalists are on the current adminstration. Don't you love it when it's the comedian on the fake news that asks the best questions?

Well I think I may have a mini-nap and then go hunt down a Metropass.

7 comments:

X said...

I'm soooo not a TTC fan. Whenever I'm in the T-dot I drive, and those damn streetcars scare the crap out of me! I still don't know the road ettiquete on when to stop, when to go, when you can pass them, etc. Oh and the streetcar tracks suck when your wheels get stuck in them! Grrrr.

Ok, that was my TTC rant :)

s said...

I have no TTC rant - as I have been on it maybe a few times...and those seemed exciting enough to not notice the bad.
I used to the love the sence of accomplishment I felt when my desk was clean, and projects were hung. Felt like I accomplished something that year.

Anonymous said...

RE: Oscar nominations
I saw Crash a year ago and I was blown away by it. I also saw Brokeback and it is heartbreakingly touching. My goal is to see the others in the next few weeks.

RE: you question
Jan. 31st

-jason- said...

i really hate it when the public transit system doesn't work like it's supposed to. i have horror stories about the mta in new york. hope you found a metropass! i like the inclusion of sounds... "Gah", "Grrr", and "Yeesh". zuper fun.

m@ said...

I read an article on The Globe and Mail about how the TTC website doesn't even have a route planner. I couldn't believe that, even our lowly Winnipeg Transit has a robust and kickass route planner online.

Oh man Rick Mercer Report kicks ass.

Scott said...

Damn TTC, I could not agree with you more. How do they run out period, it is a tiny little card that costs next to nothing to produce. If you want to get one a couple of days into the month forget it you are out of luck. Dumb!!!

I make it a point to avoid Oscar nominated movies..haha.

Scott

Anonymous said...

the first part of your blog lost me. metropass what?

Nominations - i'm a big fan of movies in general. but i still want to know what Kapote is? never even heard of this movie!!!

still, my vote for s.actor is Jake and Reese!

i definitely think reese knocked it out of the park in Walk the Line.

....speaking of tests... i have a physics one in about 5 hours...