Thursday, January 26, 2006

Questions of science, science and progress, did not speak as loud as my heart.

I come home from worked all psyched to read my blogs and blog about my day. I log onto MSN and notice that my dear friend Sandee has finally posted her first blog entry ever. I’m even more psyched to read that and then… BLOGGER IS DOWN! I can’t get to anyone’s blog!!! Grrrr!!! So mad.

Anyway, I complain to Sandee online about my quandary and she points out that I can blog in Word and then paste it when Blogger’s up. Brilliant girl. Anyway, so that’s what I’m doing right now, but it just doesn’t feel the same. Sigh.

Anyhow, you should all go read Sandee’s blog. She’s one of my friends from high school and was very pivotal in corrupting me and is freaking hilarious. Plus, she’s my only real life friend who has expressed any interest in blogging, so bonus marks for her. I find it so funny how the “strangers” (who don’t feel like strangers anymore) who read my blog know more about my day-to-day existence than a lot of my old friends. Isn’t blogging a great thing? Yay blogs!

Back to day-to-day existence. Tomorrow is my last day of classes with my first semester classes. I’m going to miss them. They were all really great classes – even my period 4 class. To think, I probably gave some of them their last detention today. Hmmm, I’d better not speak too soon since I do still have them tomorrow… Maybe I'll keep the whole class past the bell just for old time's sake.

I just got off the phone with my mom. Did anyone see James Frey (the author of “A Million Little Pieces” who is embroiled in a controversy over fictionalizing parts of his memoir) on Oprah? I did not but my mother told me about it. I guess Oprah really questioned his authenticity. When the scandal first broke out, I decided to give Frey the benefit of the doubt since I really liked the book but after talking to my mom about the Oprah show, I’ve changed my mind. I wonder now about how much of his story is actually true – if he exaggerated about his time in prison, I wonder what else his exaggerated about? The root canal? The age at which he began using? Obviously his struggles with addiction were real; I don’t think you could fake his stream of conscientious style. But it seems he took too much license for the book to be published at a memoir. Have you read it? What do you think? I had the sequel “My Friend Leonard” on hold at the library and it’s just come in. I will definitely be going into this book with a different attitude.

Speaking of books, I still have about 100 pages of Pope Joan to read for tomorrow’s book club. Later!

ps Oh good. Blogger's up now!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i haven't read it
but have wanted to
and now i will definitely pick it up
so what he embellished
the fact is that he's a good writer...
what makes this different that all those fictional writers?

oh, and!
love the lyrics!
and that's what i am ... a scientist! bwahahahah

Anonymous said...

What is "The Scientist" by Coldplay?
I'll take "I Heart Coldplay" for a bajillion dollars, Alex.

I have not read it and people who I know swear that it's absolutely raw. They are quite touched by it. I don't know if the knowledge now that it is exaggerated somewhat lessens the impact of the book.

"The more you know, the less you feel..."

Lea said...

you rock for posting a coldplay quote. you are so in my and guggenflurgen's good books for that. 'nobody said it was easy, no one ever said it would be so hard'...

Scott said...

So I have read both of the books and missed the Oprah special. I personally read the books as a great story, I don't really care all that much that it is embelished, nobody's life is that exciting haha. The things in the book really hooked me so I don't really care all that much either way.

Scott