Friday, April 28, 2006

This summer I'm going to get us a motorbike...

Tonight I had parent-teacher interviews aka the longest day of the year. Thankfully all were pretty good. My interviews fell into three categories:
a) Your son/daughter is fabulous.
b) Your son/daughter is fabulous but needs to study more.
c) Your son/daughter is a piece of work.

Usually the parents of letter c kids tend to stay at home, but I did get to talk to a few of them, and I'm hoping that they'll upgrade to letter b by the end of the semester.

The style nowadays is that the kid will often come along with the parents to the interview. I actually like this but one of the dangers is that there are sometimes tears (usually from boys believe it or not). I had one kid who looked like he was going to cry, but I think it was more from the stress of other interview and not from me because I'd classified him under category b and his dad had said "finally, some good news!" when I'd spoken about his son.

Tomorrow is a PD day and I get to sleep in. Hence I'm blogging so late.

When I got home from work tonight, my roommate and I had a discussion about my dichotomous nature. Here are some of the many dichotomies that make up this blogger:

- I'm hard-working (at work) yet lazy (mainly that I'm really good at putting off housework)
- I'm girlie (I like pink and own a surprising amount of makeup) yet not (I don't scream much and I'm not overly touchy or mushy)
- I'm quiet (around people I don't know) yet loud (around people I do know -- in fact if you get to know me, I don't shut up)
- I'm cool (see my tastes in music) yet geeky (although they say geek is the new chic)

We talked about some more but then she offered me some wine so I'm forgetting the rest.

Yay for the upcoming weekend! Hope yours rocks.

ps Post title is from the song "Ilfracombe" by Hawksley Workman which I'm listening to right now. Only a month and a bit until that concert. Yeesh. I've been waiting forever!!

7 comments:

X said...

Rock on to the geek chic....I hope it sticks around since I like wearing my glasses as opposed to contacts ;)

Glad you get to sleep in...after those P/T interviews...sounds like you deserve it! :)

Scott said...

I think the longer you teach the more you like the parent teacher interviews, especially for the type C students.

Have a great weekend.

Scott

s said...

I would say your roomate nailed the head on your dichotomous nature. You are a very complicated person, which is also what makes you great.

Enjoy the weather this weekend - it is supposed to be fab!

Anonymous said...

That's the same way here with the type of interviews. It's not a judgment on parenting skills. It's not a judgment on teaching skills either. It's just an assessment on how the kid did that semester. HOpe all went well.

wes said...

That must be a new way of doing the interviews because I never went to any of mine with my parents, but it would have been nice to go just so I could hear the teacher say how good I was. :)

Being quiet around new people and loud with ones you know isn't strange at all, I'm pretty much the same way, unless I have had some alcohol, than I don't shut up, even if I just met you 30 seconds ago. :)

Raina* said...

Really, the new trend is kids accompanying parents to parent/teacher interviews?? I'd leave my kid at home so that I can get right down to the nitty gritty with the teacher.
I remember my parents going off to meet my teachers and my waiting by the window to see if my parents came home with ice cream cones for my brother and I. When I saw the ice cream, I knew I safe.

Lea said...

as huey lewis puts it, "it's hip to be square".....