Thursday, September 27, 2007

The pause feels like an extra year of high school.

Today was one of those odd days where you end up doing a bunch of different things, and having a bunch of different emotions and feelings and experiences, so that the day feels more eventful than some entire weeks you've had in the past.

It was just busy because we had a special day at school, during which I ended up bonding with a classroom of grade 10 boys over Feist's 1234 of all things, then I had an activity-filled rest of the day, then I went out for a yummy dinner to celebrate a colleague's birthday, and finally I ended up having a couple of friends over to watch the season premiere of The Office.

On the way home from dinner, a couple of my colleagues and I got into a total Oprah conversation where we discussed insecurities and things in our lives that have messed us up, and ways to cope with life, emotions, and feelings. You know, definitely very Oprah-y stuff. It was weird because I actually opened up to them about some things that I very rarely talk about, even to my closest friends who I've know for a long long time. In fact, I think it would give some of friends quite a surprise to hear me talking about these things so matter-of-factly. I'm lucky because I realize that I do have colleagues that I totally do consider friends, and it's neat to have people at work that you like spending time with and consider friends on a personal level. Anyhow, as I was having my Oprah moment, one of my colleagues commented that I sounded like I'd come to terms with a lot of this stuff, which I really had thought that I'd more or less bottled away, but maybe I'm coming to grips with things.

Enough Oprah talk. The Office was hilarious. Oh, it was nice to see my old friends again. I love that show. :D

And... of course you know I've been obsessively listening to the new Weakerthans CD and, of course, I am in love with it. My current favourite song is "Reunion Tour", which didn't stand out to me at the beginning, but after a couple of listens, its instrumentation converted me to loving it.

Well, tomorrow is Friday, so happy weekend!

5 comments:

Scott said...

The album is great. Creed on the office is so good!

AlieMalie said...

those sorts of days seem to always make me feel like i'm living and in that respect, i really like them.

how i wish there were sophmores here who actually knew who Feist is let alone actually listen to her music. ah well ...

:)

Anonymous said...

don't you love good new music? after a couple dozen listens... i've taken a liking to hymn of the medical oddity, relative surplus value, and tournament of hearts.

it's such a terrific album... and a pleasure to listen to as i walk down huntington ave on my way back from campus to my apartment... especially when the sun is setting as the last gasps of summer weather roll by.

The Grunt said...

I've been away too long. I'm glad you are getting your Weakerthans on.

wes said...

Yeah, Feist is everywhere with that Apple commercial. I missed The Office on Thursday, but thank God for Youtube because I was able to cozy up with some chips and dip this afternoon on a very rainy day and watch the whole thing without commercials. It was awesome. :)