Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Roll down the windows let the cold air come in, yeah.

I have a group of friends from high school, who have managed to stay in contact since high school days, which will be officially 10 years ago as of June. There are 9 of us; and we've started up our own Facebook group, which has been a totally fun thing, because it almost seems like a virtual version of our table in the cafeteria back in the old days.

Anyhow, one of the latest discussions that has come up is creating a time capsule; i.e. all of writing where we want to be 10 years from now. Right now I think I'm at a strange point in my life; professionally, I'm where I'd like to be. It's strange not having that next degree to obtain, or job to get. I'm really happy with where I am, and I doubt that job-related change is in my near future. Personally, it's a different story. I feel like I'm in a bit of a rut, and maybe need to focus on getting out more, meeting more people, etc. This past year, I've been focussing on getting into better shape; and it feels like that's been eating up a lot of time and energy, and perhaps I don't feel as socially connected as I used to. Or, perhaps this is a side effect of living on my own now. I miss impromptu social occasions with my old roommate.

I guess this is what went through my mind as I composed my time capsule post, and it seemed naturally just like the type of thing I'd also like to include on my blog. So here it is...

In ten years:

I will be married to the right person, if such a person exists. If not, I will not be fretting about why I’m not married but just happy about where I am.
If I am married to the right person, I will have a child/children if it’s something that we are ready for. (I seriously question if parenthood is for me, so I’m unsure about it, but maybe I’d like a kid/kids… I think it all depends on what the other person is like.)
I will have a cat.
I will live in Toronto; not the suburbs.
I will no longer be renting.
I will teach at a school where I am just as happy, or more, as I am now. (Perhaps maybe still my school, but things change so I may have to change.)
I will have seen more of the world than I have now; hopefully France, Italy, Greece, and more of Europe.
I will be able to run 5Ks.
I will be well-read.
I will be environmentally friendly.
I will have re-visited some places I love: mainly Ireland and London.
I will still go to lots of concerts.
I will surround myself with positive people.
I will still have all of my close friends.
I will be happy.

It's weird thinking about 10 years down the line. It seems so far away; yet close in a way considering how fast the past 10 years flew.

3 comments:

Joanna Wallace said...

I never realized it untill you said it, you are so right - it does feel like a virtual version of our caf table. I love it!

The best is that we are still as choosy now anbout who we let sit down as we were 10 years ago.

Aaron said...

We did something like the time capsule thing in Grade 8 which would have been over 10 years now (wow, that took some thought to convince myself its been that long), but I threw it out after about 4 years, so much for that.

But now google caches of webpages will hold your timecapsule forever even if blogger loses it. I especially agree with the focus on travel.

wes said...

That's a cool idea, I should so something like that. If I did one 10 years ago, I don't think I would have accomplished most of it, but there is always the next 10 years for me to totally screw up. :p