Sunday, March 29, 2009

Hey undercover lover when you coming home?

Every year I complain about the Juno (Cdn music award) nominations, the fact that they are based on sales, and how the show is so overhyped, yet every year I end up watching them. Why? Well, I think masochistic tendencies are partly to blame, and that despite all their flaws, well at least the Junos do celebrate Canadian music, something which I've been really into for all of my life. And where else would I get to see Hawksley Workman present an award?

So far, the Junos are their usual selves. I think the funniest part is that The Stills, a band who has been around for seven years, won "New Band of the Year" award. Seriously, what the fuck? Also, I have already suffered through the definite low point of the show. Nickelback opened with their song "Something in Your Mouth". Yup, I'm pretty sure they've got the "Most Misogynistic Song" category nailed down this year. Good for them.

However, thankfully, there is a lot of good Canadiana out there. I saw the movie "One Week" that stars Joshua Jackson this weekend. It's totally great. It's got a great soundtrack (Great Lake Swimmers, Stars, Patrick Watson and more), fun cameos (Gord Downie, Joel Plaskett), Tim Horton's references, and lots of beautiful Canadian scenery. Highly recommended.

I am still in love with the new Joel Plaskett record. It gets better with every listen. I can't wait to see him play in May.

Anyway, it's a typical Sunday night where I'm moping at home wondering why weekends go so fast. This coming week is going to be really busy, but I do have a great concert on Tuesday. It's Constantines/Weakerthans!!! I do believe it was my 22nd birthday when I saw these bands last play together. It was a great show. I know Tuesday will be another great show. Ahhh, how I love the rock.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'll skip to the end of my rant: the Junos are nationalistic propaganda and reward only those who work in the system against the common man.