Sunday, April 19, 2009

I wish I was the moon tonight.

Weekend Rundown:

Friday
Met up with Becca T for frappucinos and to lend her Neko Case CDs so she could "study" for the concert. Going for frappucinos with Becca T is one of my favourite things to do. We are both addicted to said beverages, and we grade them. These ones were A+s, which is always great.

Since it was a lovely evening, we ended up walking and drinking, and decided to go rent the movie "Twilight". It was all right. I just finished the book not too long ago. I read it so I could understand my students better since they are all in love with the series. Most of the kids hate the movie with a passion, but I liked the movie better because it was shorter (the book dragged on for me), and Robert Pattinson is pretty cute in an intense way.

Then, I stayed up far too late having a hilarious phone conversation with a new friend. I think this will officially the most bizarre circumstances under which I've gained a new friend, but I love it when truth is stranger than fiction.

Saturday
Woke up early to go visit my work spouse (who's on mat leave) with another work pal. Her baby's grown a lot since I saw her in March and is all smiley and cute.

I wandered over the Eaton Centre, but wasn't in a shopping mood so I went home. At home, I read a review about a new HBO movie with Drew Barrymore in it called "Grey Gardens". It's based on a documentary in the 1970s about some eccentric relatives of Jackie O who became destitute and lived in a crumbling mansion in the Hamptons. Anyway, I watched a bit of the 1970s documentary on Youtube and read up on the story, and it's just the kind of weird thing I like. I look forward to seeing the HBO movie once it's out on DVD. Oh, and it turns out that a song I like (Grey Gardens by Rufus Wainwright) was based on the documentary. I guess I just like coming across a good story about eccentrics every now and then.

Saturday evening was the Neko Case concert that I'd been looking forward to forever. Becca T and I went for sushi before the show, and later we found out that the dude sitting next to us was Neko's guitarist. The concert was in a church, hence we had great seats and the acoustics were amazing. The opening band, Crooked Fingers, were pretty good. Neko was amazing, of course. Her voice is so amazing live and she sang so many great songs. Her band was excellent. My favourite songs were "Your Favourite" (ironic) and "I Wish I Was the Moon".

Sunday
I had intentions to go looking at bikes today, and maybe go buy some new spring clothes, but I wasn't feeling it. So, instead I kind of lazed around home, avoided doing anything too productive, and went for a walk.

Oh wait, I did one productive thing. I contacted the artist of that print in my previous post. Turns out her studio's near my school, so I'll be getting it this week! Yay!

This coming week at work is unfortunately super and includes Parent-Teacher Interviews. However, when that's done, it means that I'm in my last quarter of the school year, and well on my way to summer!

Have a happy Monday everyone!

5 comments:

wigsf said...

This is a bit off-topic, but I kind need some advice on something. I've got this friend whose birthday is coming up. Every year I try and get her some music and right now, I'm all out of ideas. I've noticed she has similar tastes in music as you do. I know she likes (loves) the Weakerthans and Neko Case. Any ideas? (What else do you like?)

rawbean said...

Great convo on friday night! And yes, what crazy circumstances. At least something good came of all this.

AND I don't like the New Pornographers much but I do like the new Neko Case! Glad the concert was great!

I am now adding you to my blogroll.

The Grunt said...

I'd love to go to a concert in an old church.

Name said...

Robert Pattinson looked like smelled stinky cheese in Kristen Stewart's pocket but couldn't stomach telling her because he likes it like that. "Twilight" the movie, thumbs down.

JO said...

Congrats on now being in the final quarter of the school year!
Sound like you had a very enjoyable weekend - glad to hear the baby and mom are doing well.
Hopefully you'll be able to buy a bike this weekend. The weather is supposed to be AMAZING so it would be a good time to test the wheels out!