After school, I had booked myself a hair appointment that I almost didn't make because of the thorn. However, I made it, and on the way back, I passed by good old U of T. As I was walking by the south end of the campus, I thought about how I worked my ass off for five years at that school for what? To deal with thorns? However, then I thought about my grade nines, and all of the other things that I love about my job, and I realized they all outweighed the thorn and made my job more than worthwhile.
I wrote the post below eons ago during a sleepless night in my old bedroom at the 'rents in St. Ratford. I came across it as I was doing some hard drive organization this past break, and thought that I'll post it one day. Walking by U of T made me think of it, and how I really miss being a student. Those were fun days. So I'll post it now.
Every few trips to
My academic background is a four year degree in biology at the
- I wrote a 17 page paper on “Genetic and Environmental Influences on Population Trends of Non-Insulin Dependent Diabetes”
- That in a mammalogy lab exam, I was to identify that specimen A belonged to the family Vombatidae, specimen B was from Phalangeridae, and specimen C was from Macropodidae.
- I wrote a 14 page paper on taxol biosynthesis. This is actually quite interesting in theory, since taxol is a compound derived from the bark of the Pacific yew tree that has anti-cancer properties. However, less interesting is that: “the first, very slow, committed step of taxol biosynthesis is the cyclization of geranylgeranyl diphosphate to taxa-4(5), 11(12)-diene”. More interesting is that I used to understand what that meant.
- I wrote 11 pages on fungi as parasites. My fungi professor totally dug it, because it was about his favourite topic: fungi, of course.
- I wrote a 12 page paper called “Linking the physiology and evolution of senescence: the disposable soma theory” where I took the bold stance that the disposable soma theory is the most compelling theory of the evolution of aging. Whoa.
- On a macroevolution exam, I correctly was able to use additive binary matrices (huh?) and all kinds of pretty-looking tree diagrams to correctly identify that the general pattern of an area cladogram is vicariance. Yeah, I don’t understand what any of that means either.
- I was able to use a goodness of fit test to assess if data follows a Poisson distribution. I’m pretty sure that has nothing to do with fish…
I am glad that I had the brains to save all of this stuff that proves that I did, at one point in my life at least, have some brains. I’m pretty sure if I was able to put my mind to writing 14 pages on taxol biosynthesis in the past, I surely can put my mind to anything. It’s just a matter of believing in myself.
6 comments:
i am not sure if you fed my inner nerd or scared me. i kept a lot of my old work too and it is neat to go through old papers. in the end, i leave thinking that i bet you wish you took more fun music classes, had you known bird classes were a viable option. i found photography through the same method.
Any guy who really likes fungi must be a fun guy.
And no, I have nothing intelligent to add to this post.
Ummmm you lost me at the end points..... LOL!! The taxoioa huiahgo what???
this post is so good.
:)
very diverse paper and exam selection within the field of science i must say. i'm impressed.
interesting enough, paclitaxel is a widely used chemo agent, and there are different formulations that are supposedly "better" such as taxotere and albumin-bound abraxane. cyclization was always one of my favorite kinds of chemical structure transformations, enough though it usually took me a long time to figure out how the final ring was made.
senescence has always been one of my favorite words in biology.
poisson distributions aren't as important as standard normal with z-score or t-test anyways. =)
These papers are like trophies - proofs of what we once were. Though we may have sounded more intelligent, I bet we weren't as wise as we are today.
P.S. Bus almost drove off the cliff in October. Bus was full of students. And this teacher. Hence, the drama that never happened.
Post a Comment