Monday, August 16, 2010

The post-camping post.

Well, I did it. I made it through the wilderness! Oh, I made it through-ooooo. My camping trip consisted of about 35 km of hiking on often hilly terrain in 48 hours. However, despite the scratches, the multitude of insect bites, the perspiration, the exhaustion, the sounds of large lumbering creatures in the night, the rain, the thunderstorms, and the dehydrated food, I think I'd do it again. Let's just see how long these mosquito bites torture me before making the final verdict.

We left Toronto fairly early on Friday morning, faced zero traffic, and got to Huntsville in good time. After looking around for a good brunch place, we settled on a good lunch place, and then had ice cream to fortify ourselves for the day. After we picked up our permit, we realized that we forgot to pack TP, so we drove a bit to a supply store in the park to pick it up.

While Steve was paying for it, the girl said "just so you know, this is final sale." I had to go hide behind a rack of coats to cover up my laughter. Seriously? TP is final sale? WTF? That's the kind of thing I want to return if it doesn't work out for me! Anyway, whenever the hiking was getting long, one of us would randomly say "do you think we can return the TP if we don't use it all?"

We had about 10 km to hike the first day, and got to our campsite in good time. I really liked the site because it had a nice beach where it was easy to get water, and nice lake views from where the tent was set up, but Steve found it creepy and gross that someone had left a bunch of broken coats/tarps/sleeping bags by a tree. I was able to ignore them because they had also left a comfy camp chair was also left on the site, which was really nice for fireside sitting. Here's a picture of the lake.


Here's a picture of the loon that was hanging out on the lake. At first he was really far away, but Steve was able to call him over so he was closer (talented boy). I named him Larry.


In the evening, we had a really nice campfire, and sipped some fortified orange Kool-Aid to make things more fun. Here's a shot of the fire.



We even went down to the beach where we could get an amazing view of the stars, and got to see some of the Perseids too. I think that was my first time seeing shooting stars. It was incredible to watch.

When we were almost ready to go to bed, we heard some loud noises in the woods near us, so we headed back to the beach area until they stopped. Steve was pretty sure it was a moose, and we heard it snort a couple times. It took a long time to pass by, and in the morning we could see the massive trail it left through the brush.

Anyway, Saturday was a more tiring day of hiking (15 km), and I didn't like the campsite as much. It didn't have random crap left behind, but the access to the water wasn't nice at all. Steve was clever enough to use a metal grate on the site in the water to make it a bit accessible to get drinking water. We had another fun night of dehydrated food and an abbreviated campfire. It started to rain, so we called it an early night, which was OK since we were both exhausted.

Of course, I can't say that I fell asleep right aways because we were in for another evening of large woodland creatures walking by our campsite. This time, they were going right through the site, and it sounded like there was one about four feet from the tent.

On Sunday, we had another 10 km of much easier hiking to do. When we had about 1.5 km left, it started to thunder and pour, but I kind of liked it because it made me feel less sticky. Thankfully it was very close to the end of the hike when the downpour occurred, because my shoes got soaked.

By the time we made it back to the parking lot, it was sunny. We sorted our stuff, and drove to Huntsville for a celebratory lunch of Harvey's and Dairy Queen. The nice thing about doing so much hiking is that you can eat unhealthy food after without feeling the least bit guilty.

And the worst part of the whole experience was driving through the awful cottage country traffic on the way back home to Toronto. I deeply hated anything that stood between me and a shower at that point.

And there you have it: the city girl survived the woods.

9 comments:

rawbean said...

That was a hardcore camping experience! I can't believe Steve made you do all that hiking!! Holy crap!

I LOVE your story about the TP and I can totally picture you hiding so the clerk didn't see you laughing. Seriously - what was she thinking??

Did you eat smores? What kind of dehydrated food did you eat?

galapogos said...

Sounds like a great time. I don't see any pictures of you at the lake so I guess we all have to believe you actually did it, even though there is no physical proof. :p

Aren't you supposed to relax at the lake, not walking all over? Well at least that's what I do.

Congrats on making it! :)

wigsf said...

I never understood camping as an activity. (It makes sense in case of necessity.) Why would I choose to sleep outside on the dirt when I could sleep at home.

But if you had fun, I guess that's what matters.

Christielli said...

Rawbean - Oh, it wasn't Steve's fault that we did so much hiking. There was a trail that was only about 11 km, but I said that it would be too boring to do, and *I* insisted on the tougher one.

We didn't eat smores 'cuz the chocolate could have melted and gotten messy in our backpacks. We had dehydrated apple almond cobbler instead. We also had a veggie pasta primavera that I ruined and turned into soup, a lentil dish, and baked lasagna.

Galapogos - Check out more photos on FB. And there was plenty of relaxing after all of the walking!

Wigsf - I used to think that too, however it is pretty neat brushing your teeth in the company of a loon, watching shooting stars, and waking up to the view of a lake. And it wasn't uncomfy either! (My God - *I'm* defending camping! Has the world gone topsy-turvy?)

Jabba said...

Holy crap lady! That sounds like a great trip!! The woodland creatures likely would have scared the hell out of me. I don't sleep well either when I'm camping, I have a big fear of bears.

But when we camped on our sailing trip a couple weeks ago I slept better because we KNEW there wasn't anything bigger than those raccoons on the island. They came close by the tent at one point too....awwwhhh!!

I bet that was one of the best showers ever.

Miss Ash said...

I'm with Jabba the creatures would have scared me like there's no tomorrow! How were you able to sleep with noises sooooo close???

I'm glad you made it out alive AND enjoyed yourself *high five*

You should have gone back to the store with a half used roll of TP and been like refund please LOL!

The Grunt said...

See, camping is fun. As for the sounds of creatures at night, the best is when it turns out to be a dude watching you.

jason said...

So good to hear you had a good time on your trip. I like the fire picture, too bad about the s'mores though... you've got to bring one of those foldable insulation lunch "boxes" to stash some hershey's bars next time.

Haha @ The Grunt's comment.

Princess Pessimism said...

youre a better woman than i am. Camping was on my to do list this summer - and i just barely escaped and made it out camping free. Im not ready this year...maybe next. LOL

your pictures are gorgeous though!

AND i saw this lady on her bike today that reminded me of yours, and i thought about your blog. :)