Monday, August 22, 2011

Sadness, but hope.

I woke up this morning to find out that Canada lost an amazing political leader to cancer. I always hoped that one day I'd be able to call Jack Layton our Prime Minister, but sadly, that won't happen.

I highly doubt that any Canadian, regardless of their political stripes, could read his last letter to Canadians without feeling emotional and sadness that Canada lost an amazing leader at his peak.

The closing lines of his letter leave all Canadians, and I think everyone around the world, with words to live by.

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."

Well said, Mr. Layton. May you rest in peace. I hope that one day your vision of Canada, and the world, is realized.

6 comments:

Jabba said...

I couldn't believe it when I heard this news this morning. It's so sad and he was so young.

I read his letter this morning at my desk and choked back tears at the end.

Damn.

yrautca said...

Great words and ending. Canada has a lot of potential but you must vote out the neocons.

Miss Ash said...

I heard about his passing on the radio while I drove into work, I gasped. Then I read his last letter to us all and I wept.

The Grunt said...

It is fortunate that he was able to write that last letter to your country before he passed. I have hope for your country.

Claire said...

What a great shame - I am truly sorry to hear this, sweetie. Wonderful words - words to live by. I'm going to put them up in my classroom.

Cxx

Princess Pessimism said...

I heard someone say that he was the best Prime Minister that Canada never had.

I agree. RIP.