Wednesday, August 29, 2012

The tricky part is to come back home.

The above line is from the song "Sure Can Start" by Two Hours Traffic.  It always goes through my head when I return from a trip, especially one that precedes getting back into the swing of things at work (I go in tomorrow for some planning).  Anyway, TO's been OK so far.  I've been trying to get back to Ontario time, visited my buddy down the street, and got my hair cut.  However, there have been a couple moments that have left me feeling yucky.  I guess that's just post-trip hangover.

Anyway, as a change of pace, I'm going to post pictures (!) instead of merely writing.  Here are some pictures from the last part of my post.  I'll go back in time and post some earlier photos another time.

Rawbean told me that I had to find this market on the Island that had goats on the roof.  Luckily, it was on route to Tofino.  We were driving and I asked Alison "what's the name of the market with the goats on the roof?" Before she could answer, the sign did the job.  (I love that it's called what it is.)


And this is why we came!  Actually, the market is pretty neat too.  I got pressies for my parents there!


After the market, we stopped at Cathedral Grove, which is a nice little trail where you can see some of the biggest/oldest trees in Canada.


We spent the night in Ucluelet, which is described by my guidebook as "Tofino's ugly stepsister".  I completely disagree.  It had a couple nice small beaches, and we had drinks on a boat.  The next day, we walked around part of the Wild Pacific Trail that brought us to a lighthouse.  Here's a picture of the view:


Alison walking the trail:


The lighthouse:


After that, we drove to Long Beach which is in between Ucluelet and Tofino.  It's a very long beach.  :)  It was pretty windy that day, so I had to walk down the beach in a hoodie.


 It was a good day for para-surfing... I think that's what this is called.


My feet in the Pacific.  (Note the nice pedicure I got in Vancouver... and my annual summer Birkenstock foot tan.)


After Long Beach, we drove into Tofino to see the town.  It was your average beach town.  We stayed long enough to visit an art gallery, take a picture of the sign, and have a quick dinner.


The next day, I drove to Victoria, and met up with Jabba for dinner.  On Saturday, I spent a full day in Victoria with Jabba.  Yay!  We did high tea (with mimosas!) at the Empress.



Here's a picture of the BC legislature during the day...


... and at night.  I love how it's lit up!


Well, that's a brief wrap-up of my trip with photos. 

ps If you are a Stars fan, you can stream the new album here!  I love it!!!

5 comments:

Alexandra said...

I have to ask about High Tea...

How did it compare to Fort Garry brunch?

These questions need answers!

The Grunt said...

Great pics! It's very beautious there. I know that there is no such word as "beautious", but I'm determined to make Webster's recognize. Also, there should be a movie similar to "Snakes on a Plane" called "Goats on the Roof".

wigsf3 said...

Goats on the roof. Pretty subtle way of warning people about falling goat feces. I prefer the more direct approach: "Watch for falling goat shit."

Jabba said...

Ah, memories. I think these memories will last us a long time. It was a great time. One for the books! (no pun intended, considering we spent lots of time in the bookstores.)

Unknown said...

It looks like it has been such a great summer. You are so good at summer.