Sunday, March 03, 2013

Weekend Recap & Forthcoming Staycation

Part 1: Weekend Recap

I had a really great weekend.  On Friday, I went for a nice run, did a little bit of shopping, came home and did some laundry and housework and then relaxed with a nice glass of wine.

On Saturday, I woke up early, but not too early, for a morning weight-lifting class.  Then I went out for an INSANE cheat brunch.  I went to a diner in my neighbourhood called Uncle Betty's where I had their EPIC grilled cheese sandwich.  I'm not throwing around the word epic in this case.  It had a couple of kinds of cheese, macaroni & cheese, meatloaf, and I also added bacon to the mess.  When I cheat, I cheat.  I even had a full-sugar coke, which I never drink.  After that, I had dessert, because when I cheat, I cheat.  Dessert was an ice cream sandwich made with a donut (made fresh on the premises), with Greg's Roasted Marshmallow ice cream, which is pretty much the best ice cream on the planet.  So good.

And I didn't even feel ill after that.  I credit it to aforementioned weight-lifting.


(Aside - wigsf: I really think you should go to this diner one day.  It's up your alley for sure.)

Anyway, after brunch we saw Life of Pi, which is a spectacular movie.  I really enjoyed it, and highly recommend it.  I've not read the book.  I own it, and started in a couple of times years ago, but upon seeing the movie, I'm going to make another attempt.  (My not getting into it has nothing to do with the book; just my mind frame at the time.  You know how sometimes you just can't get into books?)  The movie has amazing CGI and is incredibly visually spectacular.  Ang Lee really deserved the Best Director Oscar for sure.

After the movie, I got some groceries and had a massive salad and some wine for dinner.  I fell asleep watching SNL, as is kind of usual these days.  I'm getting old.

Today I had a Kenya meeting in the morning.  I got home for lunch, had a little nap, then headed down to Kensington Market to get my hair cut.  I also went to the Sonic Boom vinyl-only store with the rule I was allowed to pick up *one* record.  I got the xx's Coexist.  It's super mellow.  I've been listening to it as I made a delicious stir-fry for dinner. 

In summary exercise + shopping + gluttony + movie + vinyl + haircut + wine = great weekend.  Heck, I even had time to finish the schlocky book I was reading.

Part 2: Forthcoming Staycation

This is the last week of work before March Break.  As you guys may remember, I've gone to Europe for my last three March Breaks.

March Break 2010 - Paris + Nice
March Break 2011 - Barcelona + London
March Break 2012 - Paris (with side trip to Bruges)

Oh man, those were the times.

However, since I've been paying bi-monthly deposits to my Kenya trip, I don't feel comfy dropping cash on a European March Break.  I also thought that I could visit my parents for a bit.

I was chatting with my mom tonight on the phone, trying to figure out when to fit in my trip to Stratford.  I was invited to a party on Saturday, and I kind of what to keep with my Tuesday/Thursday training sessions.  My mom pointed out that Easter is at the end of the month, and that it would be kind of silly to have two visits so close together.  Why not a staycation, she asked.

My mom is wise.

I realized that I have not spent a calm non-working week in Toronto in well over a year, if not more. If you recall, I booked myself SOLID this summer, and I'm always traveling from this place to that place.

I think a Toronto staycation is what I need, and I'm excited.  I'll catch up on housework, visits with friends, and I really should book in some Skype dates.  Maybe I'll even finally organize my bookshelf.

Thanks Mom for that suggestion.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the idea of a staycation.

And your weekend sounds pretty much perfect. I am waiting until April to get my hair cut and am looking forward to it already as a treat even though we are still in March.

I'm also superglad your work outs and so on are still going well. Its really nice to read. :)

wigsf3 said...

Uncle Betty's is already on my list. But thanks for thinking of me.

The Grunt said...

I'm sure that your staycation will be a blast.

Claire said...

Staycations rule. Schedule me in a phone call, please?

Jocelyn said...

I took a Staycation this past week too (kind of on accident, because i didn't realize it was spring break, because is it really a break if you have, like, two days off?). I think you'll have a fun time in your awesome city.

Jabba said...

I LOVE Staycations!! We haven't done that in a long time too. Last time we did we were living in Vancouver. There were walks down cherry blossom streets and home made lasagna involved - I remember the photos for some reason.

Anyway - that grilled cheese sandwich hardly qualifies as such? MEATLOAF?! I can't BELIEVE you ordered that! But yeah - if you're going to cheat - do it right.

Miss Ash said...

I saw Uncle Betty's on that You Gotta Eat Here show and the donut ice cream dessert looked amazing!!!