Sadly, the Jays' division-winning 2015 season came to an end in Kansas City on Friday.
I ended up watching the game at the house of friends that I hadn't seen in awhile. Even though the outcome wasn't what we wanted, it was still fun to cheer for Jose Bautista's two home runs, and somehow hope that we'd be able to push a game seven.
During the game, I spent time texting baseball friends from near and far. I think the best part of a winning baseball season is that it brings people together. I really loved how the city of Toronto came together during the playoff run. From the "Go Jays Go" signs at the front of TTC buses, to random conversations from fellow fans in grocery stores and elevators, it's been very fun.
I really loved this Blue Jays team. I love that Joey Bats is a leader who is outspoken, who will flip his bat and speak out in support of his teammates and against injustice. I love Josh Donaldson's (MVP! MVP!) intensity. Who could have imagined that Marcus Stroman would be back to pitch for the playoffs after his supposedly season-ending injury. And who could not love 20-year old Osuna's rise from poverty to being the youngest closer in baseball (and one with nerves of steel)?
I had to have a good cry when I got home on Friday, and I know that I wasn't the only one. After a season so big, and so exciting, I just had to release it all. I went to 18 home games, 1 away game, 5 playoff games, and probably watched the majority of the rest on TV. I invested a lot of time, but I'm glad I did. I saw a lot of great baseball.
I'm looking forward to 2016. The core team will stay in place, and I'm sure we can fill in those gaps and hopefully hold onto Estrada and Price. It'll be fun hearing about any roster moves, and choosing this year's 15 games on our flex pack. And I can't wait to find out who will be the 2016 bobbleheads! (My money is on Donaldson, Tulo, and Price if he sticks around. Although I'd really love a Kevin Pillar bobblehead.)
Until then, I've got the World Series and all I have to say about that is Go Mets Go! It's s tie game right now. Those damned Royals are relentless.
1 comment:
i was hoping for a ny-toronto series. it just wasn't as good of a story line for kc to win both. maybe next year.
Post a Comment