Monday, May 16, 2016

Do not punch Jose Bautista in the face, you loser.

I was super excited to follow tonight's Raptors game.  I was pretty confident that they would win game seven (and they did, decisively) and advance to the Eastern Conference semifinals for the first time in franchise history.

But I got distracted by the brawls in Arlington Texas and didn't pay much attention to the excellent basketball news.

Those Texas Rangers can't get over a well-deserved flip of a bat.

Look, he hit the HOME RUN of his career.  The home run of the past 22 years of franchise baseball. It was Jose Bautista's first time in the playoffs, and he flipped the bat when he won the series.  Big deal.  You would have too.

Response: wait until his last at-bat of the two re-match series of the 2016 regular series.  Bean him in the ribs with a 98 mph fastball.  Then, when he illegally slides into second base, punch him in the face when he's not expecting it, because people in baseball don't punch.  But that's okay; it's deserved because he flipped a bat.

***

On top of all of the sports emotions, I had a really great conversation with a good friend who I hadn't spoken to in six months.  The six month hiatus wasn't necessarily purposeful, but it was as a result of changes in life, and more changes.  It's a really weird situation that I can't get into here, but fuck. When the news that you know was coming, and had already accepted, arrives it still throws you for a loop.

On the same day Jose Bautista was punched in the face.  How poetic.

So I grabbed one of those craft beers I was saving in the fridge and threw on a record and I think it's OK now.

But, geez, emotions in baseball, emotions in life, it's a lot sometimes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Baseball, amongst all of the non-combat sports, has the best fights. Joey Bats and Rough Odor guy kept their glasses on and Joey took that punch like a freakin' champ. The night before, the UFC held a heavyweight championship bout. The champ got felled by a single fist to the chin. Poof. Down. New champ. Joey took a wicked shot and turned right back to get some more.

Claire said...

Man, that game seems rough! Speaking of long overdue catch ups - phone call soon?