Monday, March 19, 2007

I've grown accustomed to rose-coloured glasses.

Alright, I've been in a majorly random mood today, so here goes a super-rambling random post.

1) The song "Tears Dry on Their Own" by Amy Winehouse is groove-tastic.

2) I've rediscovered an artist that just the other day I wondered "what ever happened to". Waaaaaay back in 2001 (good God I'm old), I went to see my dear Hawksley play in London Ontario and his opener was Martina Sorbara. My friends and I all really liked her, and I caught her at the Rivoli in Toronto a couple of times after that and picked up her CD "The Cure for Bad Deeds". I hadn't heard anything about her in a long long time and yesterday I ended up reading an article about her new band Dragonette. I'd actually come across their name in a celebrity gossip band of all things because apparently they're the next big thing in Britain. I love their song "I Get Around". It's not normally the kind of thing I'd go for, but it's really fun. I think it's cool that an artist I used to watch in tiny Toronto bars may be the next big thing (although very different from what I used to love - but still fantastic).

3) Today I realized that I'm getting very old because it is 2007 and I graduated from university (the first time) in June 2002, which is almost 5 years ago and 5 years is a long time.

4) Oh yeah, March Break is over: boo. I've returned to slightly calmer kids and a well-rested me. And a pile of work, so you might not see me much in blogland for the next few days.

5) I finished my March Break project of reading a 1177 page historical fiction trilogy on Josephine Bonaparte. It was really good. Does anyone else end up with a bittersweet feeling after you've finished a really good book and you end up missing the characters?

6) Last night, I attended a book club meeting. The selection was a graphic -i.e. comic book style- memoir called Persepolis. I highly recommend it. Anyhow, my friend ended up showing me a book about birth order and it was pretty interesting and explains a lot about my issues with perfectionism since I'm a "Lonely Only". Anyhow, I think I'm going to look for it next time I'm in the library because it was pretty entertaining.

7) I thought of more random things to say today while I was running around on some annoying errands and now I forget what those were. I hate that.

6 comments:

AlieMalie said...

boo to march break being over. :( hope you have a randomly good week. :)

The Grunt said...

You read fast and I am impressed by that. I read pretty fast but my specialty is reading out loud with a booming baritone. I should do voice overs. Oh yeah, and I'm just darn silly to boot.

wes said...

I realized I was old as well when I found out that someone the same age was me is attending their 10 year highschool reunion this summer. I'm old. :)

That's cool that you finished your reading project, that is much too ambitious for me. :)

JO said...

I know what you mean by bittersweet ending books. That's how I felt when I finished the last few Harry Potter books. Imagine how i'm going to feel at the end of the series.

I was so excited, I knew where the title of your post came from!!
I'm looking into Dragonette now.. I should send the info to Jacinthe too!

X said...

Good work at the randomness. I applaud you.

Anonymous said...

ugh... no new office today either. what's up with that? nbc needs to get cracking or something.