Monday, July 23, 2007

I've been under the ground, eating prayers from this old book I found.

Well, I finished it. One kind of wants to slowly read a book that they've been waiting 2 years for, but when it's very good, the idea of slowly relishing it goes out the window.

Side note: one thing I learned from this volume of HP is that Harry was born in the same year as I was. There's a scene where he goes to his parents' grave, and their death date is Oct. 31st, 1981. Since they were killed when he was 1, I did the math, and yeesh, if I'd been a fictional girl in Great Britian, I would have been in Harry's class. Freakin' hell, I would have been Hermione, since like to think I have her brains, her righteousness, and yes, her tendency for know-it-all-ism. To top it off, I'm Muggle-born.

Anyhow, I'd give the book, nay the entire series, about a million stars out of ten. Best. Heptology. Of. Books. Ever. (Thanks Jon Stewart for the word heptology.)

Well, I'll come down from my HP-induced state of euphoria since those of you who aren't into the heptology (shame!) are getting bored, and those of you who are into the series are getting sore necks from nodding in agreement with me. Basically, this whole Harry Potter phenomenon has re-affirmed my hypothesis of happiness.

Basically, I think happiness lies in enjoyment of the little things in life. I am a generally happy person, not because I have an amazing life; I mean, my life's pretty swell but there are aspects of it that I could dwell upon and act grimly about, but I find my overall cheery demeanor comes from the fact I get true joy out of little things like:
a) the final volume in a popular children's heptology
b) the use of a weird word like heptology
c) concert tickets
d) new albums
e) frappucinos
f) movie dates with friends
g) sleeping in on Mondays
h) trips with friends
i) shiny objects
j) hilarious TV shows
and I could go on. (Okay, I kid about letter i, but I got a small amount of joy out of making that joke even if it's little cornball. The little cornball reference reaffirms my enjoyment of letter j. )

So, I say to all of you, find some little thing to be happy about on this Monday. :)

6 comments:

Jocelyn said...

k i skipped the first half of your post because i don't want to read anything about harry potter until i read the book. it's really weird that i suddenly got somewhat paranoid about it because i was unaware that i even cared that much. as in, i still need to read the 6th book first because i can't remember anything that happened.

but. i realllllly like your list of happy things. especially shiny things. you remind me of my best friend.

Kelly said...

Everyone seems to be hooked into the Potter Mania. I have seen the movies, but haven't read the books. I just started watching the movies this summer.

X said...

I don't judge, I swear, but I'm so sick of all of this Potter-mania out there. I know what happens at the end, but not because I read the book. I was a good lil camper and looked up the spoilers on the net, lol.

Glad you enjoyed it tho!

wes said...

Are we done with the Harry Potter talk now?? :p I'm so anti-mainstream, I must drive everyone nuts. :)

I got to go to the Kwik-E-Mart, I really can't rub that in enough. :p

Thomas said...

I will try my best to follow your advice then.

Lea said...

i am reading harry potter at night after my baby daughter has gone to sleep and i have some moments to myself... i love reading in bed all cozy.