Tuesday, March 04, 2008

F is my favourite letter as you know.

In a week from this moment, I'll probably be in super-excited overdrive mode since I'll be leaving for Austin and SXSW-fun at 7:15 the next morning. If there is one thing that I like about the fact that time flies much faster as you are older, it's that things that you are super-excited about approach much more quickly than they used to. I remember when I'd look forward to a concert or something when I was a teenager, and it would take *forever* to approach.

Anyhow, life is going swimmingly right now, especially since there are only 3 more teaching days until March Break. I'm totally in the mood right now to do a music post, since I love how certain songs become the soundtrack of times in my life, and how a year from now these songs will remind me of now, and bring back found memories, I'm sure. So here are 10 fabulous songs that are on heavy rotation on my iPod these days.

1) Get Home - Sarah Slean: This song was a free iTunes download a few weeks ago and it's absolutely gorgeous. It's one of those songs that although is a little bit sad, it just makes me happy because it makes my heart skip a beat because it's so pretty.

2) The Cheapest Key - Kathleen Edwards: She is totally one of my fave artists, and her new album came out today. I cheated by streaming songs from her website this week, so I know a lot of the songs already. This one totally rocks, and I walked by a record store today where they were blasting this song and it sounded so good. So much fun, and I think her album will be one of my faves from 2008.

3) Piano Blink (los manlicious mix) - Hawksley Workman: This song is quickly creeping its way up on my most played list. There are two mixes of this song on Hawksley's new album, and this one is incredibly awesome (the other one is only awesome). I'm seeing Hawksley on Saturday, and I hope he plays the song in the style of this mix.

4) Under the Blacklight - Rilo Kiley: I'd downloaded a couple tracks from this album months ago, and then as I was playing around with iTunes this weekend, I saw that I could complete my album for $5. So glad I did because I came across some really awesome tracks, like this one.

5) Not Tonight - Tegan and Sara: I love Tegan and Sara, but I only really know their last two albums. This came up on my friend's iPod while we were driving to NYC and I loved it and had to get it. It reminds me of the trip, and I just love singing along to it. As a result, getting into older Tegan and Sara is on my to-do list.

6) New York, New York - Ryan Adams: Someone sent this song to me post-NYC and it makes me think of NYC and makes me happy. I really liked NYC.

7) Fools Like Me - Lisa Loeb: Another song that came up on someone's iPod during the long drive to NYC that I have been listening to a lot since the trip. I like girly stuff like this.

8) My Favourite Game - The Cardigans: I've been listening a lot to old Cardigans singles for some reason lately. This song makes for a great workout song.

9) Nolita Fairytale - Vanessa Carleton: I always have a few guilty pleasures on the go, and I've been listening to this song a lot since I heard it one day while shopping in American Eagle Outfitters (another guilty pleasure). I pretty much like any song with the word fairytale in the title (see Tori Amos's A Sorta Fairytale), and I really like this. Something else girly to go with song #7 I suppose.

10) Trying to Pull Myself Away - Glen Hansard: I really like the Once soundtrack, and I especially like this song since it rocks. It might just be the least girly song on this list now that I scan the rest of the titles...

So, I guess my current listening habits are all about things that are girly and/or remind me of NYC. Hmmm, interesting. I guess even my watching habits fit with this theme. I just watched the first season of 30 Rock, which I now officially love, and it makes me happy with its NYC setting, and it is girly (TGS does stand for The Girlie Show). Anyway, 30 Rock is another addiction of mine these days. I think I'm going to rewatch the whole first season. :)

3 comments:

Scott said...

Good tunes. I too am enamored with New York, New York!

The Grunt said...

I like The Cardigans old stuff. Have you heard Cat Power's version of "New York, New York"?

Claire said...

Kathleen Edwards! Yayness! I meant to say, I've been listening to your mix in the car loads - it's so great and so 'you'. I hope you are having a blast in Austin! Or are about to have a blast, depending on when you read this!

Cxx