Okay, here's a quick SXSW post.
First I LOVE SXSW!!!!!!! But, Was there any doubt that was going to happen?
Okay, after a smooth flight with a stopover in Dallas (I was also thoroughly impressed with the Dallas airport - there was the coolest shuttle between terminals), I arrived in Austin to BEAUTIFUL weather. I probably owe AlieMalie $10 'cuz I told her that I should pay her a quarter for every time I said "I'm in love with this weather".
Anyway, our first stop was food at the Magnolia Cafe, where we ran into none other but Michael Stipe. Of course, I insisted on being cool and not talking to him, but it was cool passing him as we were entering the restaurant.
Then, we wandered around Austin for a bit. In the evening, we bought our SXSW bracelets that let us into all of the shows. We made a game plan of shows that we wanted to see, and had our plan of attack. We figured we'd first start with where REM was playing that night, but I assumed that there was no way that we'd get in, hence we had several backup plans. Anyhow, apparently the Michael Stipe sighting earlier in the day had been a good omen and we got in! We were so close to the front that I could see Michael Stipe's facial expressions as he performed. It was such a great show. They mainly played new material, and from the sounds of it, the new album is going to be great. Anyhow, I can't believe that I saw REM in such a small venue!
Today, we did some shopping in the afternoon where I purchased a few of my favourite things: new Chucks, an Austin Starbucks mug, and a new hoodie. Then we headed back downtown to see more shows. Today I got to see Martha Wainwright, The Islands, Priscilla Aun, a crazy band called Man Man, and *drumroll* The Weakerthans!!!! We were three rows from the front and it was amazing. I can't believe that I got to fulfill my dream of going to SXSW. (I think I've wanted to go ever since I developed my current level of musical geekiness sometime in university.) But, not only that, I saw my favourite band perform!!!
Anyhow, I should get off this hotel computer, but suffice to say I have one more day of musical fun planned. Tomorrow I'm hoping to see Yo La Tengo, Kimya Dawson, Oh Susannah, and Blue Rodeo. Then it's off to Dallas for a day, and then *sob* back home.
Sooo, I suppose I'll blog again from the sad part of when the trip is done. But I'll add some great pictures then! Okay, but honest to goodness, if you are a fellow music geek, and I know most of you who read this are, you need need need need to go to SXSW someday. Just being here is awesome. You hear music everywhere you go. Ahhh! :D
3 comments:
I've heard from a reliable source that Michael Stipe does not wear deodorant. Believe it or not, it was Outdoorsy Girl, a fellow blogger, that told me this. She worked at a dental office in Athens, Georgia where Michael Stipe and Bill Berry would get their dental work done. So, now I know two people who have had close encounters with Mr. Stipe.
As for the rest of SXSW, it sounds incredible. I wish I were down there right now.
Sounds great, I am very jealous.
I am so jealous! Two of my favourite girlies! And you're seeing Kimya Dawson too! I so hope you guys send me a postcard at least ;).
Love to you both!
Cxx
Post a Comment