Sunday, February 21, 2010

And I got up in the ring because I had you there in my corner.

Well, now that I've had the Toronto-chapter 30th birthday party, my thirty-ness is completely official.

My party was really great, and I got to see a lot of old friends that I don't see very often, and I got to see a lot of friends that I do see very often, so it was great. The party was low-key, very chill, and just perfect. There were some calls for birthday shots, but I did too many of those last weekend. I am now officially off of white wine (thanks Scotland) and off of shots (thanks H*** sisters from St. Ratford). Last night I stuck with beer. It's safe.

Whenever I think about all of the awesome friends that I am blessed to have, I think about the lyrics to one of my favourite Sarah Harmer songs: "The Ring".

You thank me all the time
But now it’s my turn
Cause truly a word of gratitude so due
Can’t go unheard
And it made me feel better
To have you there in my corner
My eyes cast so low
My face could not have been
Drawn longer

I know you’ve been impressed
You’ve seen me at my best
But oh, how it hurts
When I can’t hide my worst
Well thank-you for carrying on
For playing with me and this song
It made me feel better
We sat it out like some passing bad weather

My mind was like kids' boxing gloves
The kind blown up with air
That are put away after play
And get limp just lying there
But you knew they’d fill up again
And you gave me your shoulder
And I got up in the ring
Because I had you there
In my corner
And I got up in the ring
Because I had you there
In my corner


Anyway, I'm glad that I've spent the past week getting time to catch up with a lot of friends because of my birthday, and I'm so thankful about all of my friendships and all of the wonderful people in my life.

Also, my iTunes bills for this year are gonna be paid off 'cuz of these people. Now I just need to find some good new albums to buy. Any suggestions?

Speaking of friends, I had a really nice Sunday. My friend Jolene, who is one of my high school friends, came up for the party, and crashed here, so we spent the morning/afternoon going for brunch, then doing some shopping, then having a sushi snack. Then, I had to come home and have a nap 'cuz I was exhausted. Old.

This evening, I am going to spend some time writing thank-yous to my awesome friends, while Olympic-ing out. I'm going to attempt to watch the hockey game, but if it gets tight, I might have to look away.

Speaking of Olympics, I have a total crush on our men's skeleton gold medalist, Jon Montgomery. Why? Well, first off, he's hilarious. During his post-medal interview, he said "get 'er done" multiple times, he chugged from a pitcher of beer, and then auctioned off the pitcher of beer (he's an auctioneer). Secondly, he is ripped. OMG. CTV frequently showed a shirtless picture of him, and usually I'm meh whatever, but all I could say is ooh-la-la. Then I read an interview where he said he hates that picture 'cuz he wasn't in his best shape then. Hmmm, can we get an updated pic please??? But anyway, I've found my crush of the games. And he's 30 too!

All right, TV is calling me. Pleasant Monday blog folks. Thanks for being in my corner.

8 comments:

wes said...

ha ha, I thought that picture was extremely inappropriate. But I'll let it slide because he won gold. I always watch as much Olympics as possible, I love them. :)

btw, I'm 25% Finnish. :p

rawbean said...

Welcome to your 30's where you get tired way earlier and it just isn't worth it to stay out late anymore! haha....

Wasn't the hockey game painful?? Ugh! Oh well. We get to play an extra game now and we need the practice apparently.

-jason- said...

sorry bout the loss, at least the team's not completely out. they still have a chance.

i like your term thirty-ness. i should incorporate it into my vocab.

like you, i also think i'm blessed with great friends. sometimes i feel like i don't deserve them.

happy monday!

wigsf said...

Oh yeah, the skeleton guy. I remember his "thank you" speech. The guy almost forget to thank his parents. Parents should be thanked first, especially before the sponsors.

yrautca said...

That game was intense. I am not a hockey fan but I watched it and it was fun. I hope the Canadians can recover from the loss and bring their A game next time.

Genuine friendships are a blessing but hard to come by.

Claire said...

What a lovely song! And hee to the white wine problem. :-)

Cxx

Jocelyn said...

i didn't watch the game (no tv), but i heard the results- sorry :( i agree with you completely on the friends thing. it's quite amazing, isn't it? i can't wait to see what songs you get with your itunes! make sure to post about them!

Miss Ash said...

I love how your crush says "get er done" and chugs beer out of a pitcher...perhaps you can go to the local Walmart and find a look a like :) (granted the WM version most likely won't be ripped....in the ab area...shirt might be!)