Thursday, May 27, 2010

And these memories lick my ear.

Last night's Weakerthans show was great, of course. Great venue, great company, great band, and a great set-list. I loved that they played both of their songs that are written from the point of view of a cat, and that they played the three connected songs (Manifest, Hospital Vespers, and Past Due) from their album"Reconstruction Site". They also played the title track of that album, which is my favourite song ever. And by ever, I mean ever.

A lot of their songs remind me of university days, so as I described before, a Weakerthans' show sends me down memory lane. They played a really old song from their first album called "Leash". Becca T and I used to always quote the first line of that song when we'd had a bad day:

"Had one of those days when you want to try heroin, drunk-driving, some sort of soft suicide."

It's a dark line, but is satisfying to say when you have one of those days. I had one of those afternoons actually.

But luckily, I did get to try a heroin of sorts today: I saw Sex and the City 2!

I am very thankful to a work pal for getting us early tickets to a show that started right after school. I was so glad to get out of that building ASAP, and seeing a silly chick flick with a close friend was a perfect antidote to the day.

My review of the movie is that it's silly and fun, and if you are a SATC fan, you'll have a good time. My friend is a huge SATC fan, and she was laughing like crazy during the movie, so I'm not sure if it was she or the movie that cracked me up more.

My favourite line of the movie is when Samantha says "where the fuck is Paula Abdul when you need him?" I didn't make a mistake; that's the line. If you want to understand it, see the movie. I'm going to start using it when I'm frustrated.

So in summary, the last 1.5 days brought me a great concert, a frustrating work afternoon (the morning was great though), but it was remedied by a silly movie. So all-in-all, not too shabby.

And it's Friday! Yay to short weeks! This weekend I have to buckle down and focus on catching up on marking, and writing my exams, and getting some planning done. Gah. But the end is in sight, and boy, am I ready for summer.

Happy weekend!

6 comments:

yrautca said...

LOVE that song line. I could write a post on 'soft suicide' in the winter. SATC...its a girl thing. I might be interested to watch if they recast the cast like try fresh younger faces.

rawbean said...

I'm talking to you right now on messenger so it seems silly to comment but glad you liked the movie. I can't wait to see it in a week and a half.

galapogos said...

ha ha, great company?? ;) That's awesome!

I'm going to see the movie this weekend. Should be fun. Enjoy your weekend. :)

Claire said...

I can't wait to see SATC2! Will look out for the Paula line. Oh man, I miss crazy Paula. AI was *dull* without her!

Cxx

Miss Ash said...

Glad you had fun at the concert!

As for SATC, I loved that show but the 1st movie disappointed me in that I lost ALL respect for Big and HATED her for taking him back.

Princess Pessimism said...

I heard that the second movie sucked...but i'll give it a try since you said its fun...the first one was fun. so fingers crossed.