Sunday, May 02, 2010

The Chuck Taylor Post (with Rilo Kitty bonus).

I had a great weekend with lots of socializing and good times, but tonight's post is about more important things: shoes!

Sometimes I can be a girly-girl, and I do have an extensive enough collection of pretty shoes, usually with sensible heels or wedges (I don't do stilettos). However, I think anyone who knows me knows that I'm happiest in a pair of jeans, a hoodie, and a pair of Chucks.

And, anyone who read my last post knows that I was in the market for a pair of dark purple Chucks, and that the government has given me the funds with which to obtain my new Chucks.

In fact, since that was the want from last post that most everyone commented on, I got inspired to do a post about my collection of Converse Chuck Taylors. With pictures! Of course, when I was arranging my shoes, Miss Rilo Kitty had to see what was going on, and has ended up in many of the shots. So bonus for you guys! Cute shoes and cute cat! Win-win!

Sadly, I do not have my very first pair of Chucks around here. I'm pretty sure they are still at my parents' house and were not disposed of because I probably said something along the lines of "nooooooo.... you can't throw those out!" and they are stored in the basement with the collection of my crap that's still with my poor parents.

I got them in grade eleven. They were low-top blue and green flannel plaid Chucks. The epitome of the 1990s right there in a shoe. Sadly, on maybe the second week I had them, a kid in my chemistry class spilled some acid on them and they got a few small holes in them from that tragic accident. I still wore them into the ground.

A few years ago, I saw the pair of Chucks below at the Brown's in the Bay at Yonge and Bloor, and I fell in love because of their emo-ness (note the broken hearts) and because they reminded me of my Chucks from high school. I bought them.

I added the pink laces to them myself. You can see they quite well-worn.


I don't remember the chronological order of my other pairs. This pair below are my favourites because they are red (second fave colour) and have birds (fave thing!) on them. I saw a picture of them in a Glamour magazine and actually ordered them from the Converse website and ended up paying a pretty penny for them (stupid customs). They're also from the Project Red line, so that's nice too.


Here are my two black pairs of Chucks. The low-tops I just bought in the fall, and as you can see, they've gotten a lot of wear already. They went to France with me over March Break and Becca T noticed that they were new to the collection, but really well worn. Everyone needs a pair of basic blacks.

The hi-tops were a house-warming gift from Becca T. She got them for $10 at outlet in the US and got a pair for herself too. I'll tell you why they were so cheap: there's something effing wrong with them! They pinch my feet and pinch hers too! That didn't stop me from wearing them all over NYC (twice). (Note to Miss Ash: Chucks are usually very very comfy. Those babies are defective.)

Below is Rilo posing with three pairs that I got while on various trips. (Yes, that is one of Rawbean's little homies on Rilo's scratching board in the background. She likes to play with it and places it on there. You should fill those things with catnip, my friend!)

The creme-coloured pair I got from an outlet in Buffalo while on a shopping trip with my pal Mathew. I wore them today.

The brown pair I got on my first trip to NYC at the Foot Locker in Times Square. They were on sale and reminded me of my first pair 'cuz they have holes (on purpose) in them through which you can see plaid.

The green pair I got when I was shopping at a Converse outlet with AlieMalie in Austin Texas. I bought to wear them on Earth Day that year, but then stupid Air Canada lost my luggage so I didn't even have them 'til the day after Earth Day. Oh well.


And now onto the newest member of the family: my "Italian Plum" low-tops! (I prefer low-tops as you can see. Easier to take on and off.) I had to go to three stores today to find them in low-tops and in my size, but I did!

And, in all of the searching, I found a store with an extensive collection of baby Chucks. I was in the market for a baby gift for a friend who is due in May (who usually doesn't read the blog, and if she's reading this post: SURPRISE!). Perfect and oh-so-cute!


Anyway, so there you go: Christielli's Chuck Taylor collection. Hope you enjoyed. And seriously, if you don't have a pair: GET SOME!

14 comments:

rawbean said...

Holy crap! You really do have a good collection! I love the green ones and of course the new ones and the baby ones....awhhhh soooo cute. I bought a pair for a friend as well. So precious!

-jason- said...

that is a really good collection of chuck's, i am totally impressed. the baby ones with the blue insides and shoelaces look pretty slick. your friend's kid is gonna be super cool.

it's been awhile since i've owned a pair, it was sometime in undergrad that my blue ones just couldn't be worn anymore. i pretty much wore them exclusively from 7th grade to junior year in high school. not the greatest shoes for snowy winters, but great summer shoes. i think they're the only shoes that get better looking with more wear.

-jason- said...

upon re-reading, i should've said from 7th grade to jr year in high school, i wore chucks exclusively, but not the same pair of chuck's. cause that would've been a really awful smelling raggedy pair of shoes.

Christielli said...

Rawbean - I've decided that baby Chucks are going to be my new baby gift to everyone. Now I don't have to think about things!

Jason - LOL I assumed it was more than one pair. ;) You need a new pair stat!

galapogos said...

ha ha, Rilo looks like she is posing in that last picture she is in. I think I remember you telling me about the red ones, they are super cool. The baby chucks are awesome. One of my gf's friends is having a baby soon, and we have already decided to get baby chucks as well, and baby checkered vans. I'm down to three pairs myself, I've moved onto other kinds of shoes recently.

s said...

I have mine from HS still and wear them now and then - high top blues. the bottoms are almost gone.

wigsf said...

Dems alotta Taylors!

Claire said...

Chucks AND Rilo? One of my fave posts ever, for sure. :-)

Cxx

Princess Pessimism said...

OMG - I had a collection of Doc's like that through highschool. AND I always dyed my hair to match....purple, blue red, whatever. I DID have a bright orange pair of Chuck hightops....I used to wear them to baseball. LOL

Miss Ash said...

That's a huge collection wow!

Now question (cause I have nooo idea about these things) I overheard my friend talking about like a star one vs another type if you will....is there a big difference looks wise?

Christielli said...

Galapogos - Moved onto other shoes now, have you? Such as?

s.g. - You should get a new pair! There are stores with walls of them here in TO. Come visit and I'll help you find a pair!

wigsf - There are a lot of pairs, but I could always use more.

Claire - The only thing that could improve this post is a badger.

PP - The reason why I only had one pair of Chucks in HS is 'cuz I was a DM girl too, however, I didn't dye my hair to match. That's awesome!

Miss Ash - One stars look different and have this: *> on them. I've never had a pair. I'm All-Star all of the way.

Anonymous said...

I know who that lucky little boy is going to be! Can I backdate my kid's births? :) Don't worry, I found a pair of pink knock off chucks from the Gap in a bag of handme downs for Bree, so she will be semi-stylin!

Sadly, along the same lines as this post, I threw my pair of doc martin boots from highschool away last week whilst cleaning out the garage. I watched too many of those hoarding shows and realized that since they do not fit me anymore it is time to part with them :(

Joanna

yrautca said...

Fair to say then you have a chuck's fetish. This post was the light read I was looking for tonight.

AlieMalie said...

RILO!

that is quite the collection of Chucks! i think you have more Chucks than i have shoes!