It was fun braving rush hour traffic on the 401 to make it in plenty of time to wander around a bookstore, have dinner, and then hit the venue with a little bit (but not too much) time to spare.
David Myles opened up for Joel, and he was quite enjoyable. I picked up one of his CDs (which was produced by Joel) at the merch table. I haven't listened to it yet, but I know it will be good.
Joel played on his own for most of the show, but his dad joined him on stage for a bunch of songs. It was such a great show because Joel is completely capable of owning the stage just with only an acoustic guitar. His songs are brilliant and catchy. He played two new songs, which makes me so incredibly excited for his new album, whenever he gets around to recording it.
My pal the2scoops, who was awesome enough to come to the show with me and do the driving, took a video of Joel singing "Fashionable People". You can kind of hear me singing badly at the beginning of the video; then I noticed he was filming and tried not to sing very loudly, which is a hard thing to do at a Joel Plaskett show.
Anyway, the rest of the weekend has been all right. I have done quite a bit of marking with my pal Fea at a coffee shop, and a good deal of reading too. I finished reading Room by Emma Donoghue. All I can say is wow. It's a great book, but the subject material is hard to deal with. Now I'm reading "Little Bee" by Chris Cleave on my Kindle. I got it last weekend; but put it down when Room came from the library. It's really good too; but again has some subject material that's difficult to read. I guess it's good to read books about people with real problems (such as people imprisoned in 11 by 11 rooms, and Nigerian refugees) because seriously, it makes you feel silly about whatever is getting you down.
Actually, that idea just made me remember a line from a Matthew Good Band song, "Omissions of the Omen" that used to help me gain perspective about stuff in my life.
"And somewhere around the world
Someone would love to have my first world problems."
Someone would love to have my first world problems."
Also, chatting with my friend Fea a lot this weekend as we were distracting ourselves from marking was helpful too. I really suck at living in the present; I often focus too much on the past; and on the future. I really need to just live in the here and now and appreciate what I have, because I do have a lot.
And I do have a busy week coming up at school. Blerg. Oh well, I'll get through it!
9 comments:
Love the song line. Ahhh...the fuss we make over not getting our sushi order right!
That is a really good quality video - way to go the2scoops!
Glad you enjoyed the adventure and mini-road trip.
I feel like I have to start living more in the present and not focusing so much on the future too...its easier to be more optimistic if you're not always thinking about what could happen.
Fun performance! It's always nice to go to a show where the musician can work up the crowd.
I am having a hard time just going back to standard time, let alone living in the present.
You read so many books! I can't remember the last time I read a book. Well actually I can, but you get the idea.
I think I live vicariously through your weekends because I always have to work. Blerg.
You always make me feel like a slacker when it comes to reading :P!
Glad you enjoyed the show and roadtrip!
That is a really good video! I love how cute and slim he is - and his cute belt...haha!
That lyric really puts everything in perspective doesn't it? Yikes.
I've always liked the name Guelph. I wonder if you can pick up a Guelph shirt in gas stations town?
It was a fun show, thanks for getting the ball rolling on this C! I love how excited Joel seemed to get when he was able to "dial in" The Emergency
PS When in Guelph, I recommend dining at The Albion Hotel: the food is delicious.
Post a Comment