Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Buenas noches.

La clase de español es muy bien.

I learned how to conjugate my first verb (ser - to be). I learned the Spanish alphabet, the numbers (which I remembered very well from Sesame Street, muchas gracias), colours, and some pretty basic vocabulary and expressions. I learned a lot about pronunciation, and have to remember to pronounce everything, unlike the how you do in French. For example I always have to focus on pronouncing "es" with an "s" sound at the end. I lapse into French pronunciation so easily.

I will also have to work hard on pronouncing certain letters properly. For example, I learned that "v" and "b" are pronounced the same way in Spanish - like a very soft "b" where you don't put your lips together. As a result beber (to drink) and vivir (to live) sound very similar in Spanish. That's a sign of a good language, eh?

In addition, I need to remember that "ll" is pronounced like a "y", "ge" is like "hey", and gi "is hee" and the "h" is always silent. Also "h" is "hache" which is really fun to say.

Anyway, I learned a lot in my first class. I was also very happy to have my pal Fea with me. She has traveled a lot in various Spanish-speaking countries, so she has a better handle on pronunciation and can correct me. In addition, it's fun having someone to joke around with.

Well, that's my week #1 Spanish class update. Buenas noches. Hasta luego.

11 comments:

jason said...

Hola mi amiga. I wonder if the v thing is a difference between the Spanish in Spain vs. Spanish in Latin America. I can only think of Ricky Martin's overplayed song from many moons ago about, "living la vida loca."

Your post also made me think of, How do you say? Ahhhh yes...

Word verif: furra. It's like furry with el, ella, es conjugation. =)

Miss Ash said...

Ya what he said! LOL!

(All I know is Una Cerveza Por Favor!!!)

The Grunt said...

My assigned name in 8th grade Spanish was "Ramone".

Anonymous said...

Ah, espanol is moy bueno

Jason Carlin said...

Alternative post title: Sing Me Spanish Techno?

Princess Pessimism said...

omg I took a spanish class....but I grew up speaking italian, so the first thing that I handed in, all of the verbs were italian, and conjugated that way. She gave it back to me and said that i would have gotten perfect if it was Italian class....so i rewrote it, and handed it in again. I think i got like 89% in the class, but I seriously memorized everything, i never learned anything...and have completely forgotten it all...

It was really though for me - but im glad you love it.

Aaron said...

Miss Ash has half the really important spanish down.

The other half: Donde est a el bano?

Jabba said...

I'm glad you're learning how to conjugate verbs first rather than random words like "ice cream" and "dog" like we did!!

The "ll" also differs depending on where you go. From what we learned, in Spain it's pronounced "je" and in most of South America it's "y". We used "y" in Cuba and were right. Phew.

We also laughed about getting "huevos" and "jueves" mixed up:

"My favourite day is eggs."

Jocelyn said...

you learned SO much for just one class. que bueno!

(it's extremely unfortunate that i learned both italian and spanish and consequently mix up the languages now. but how could i ever just pick one?)

rawbean said...

I imagine it's so much easier if you already know French - true? And Jabba is going to be all over the Spanish class posts....hehe

yrautca said...

In Cancun, everyone spoke spanish and some wait staff couldnt speak/understand English at all. My companions knew some spanish which was good because I was pretty bad at it.