After that, I am meeting up with Fea yet again to mark, mark, mark. As per new year's resolutions, I am not going indulge in a pastry at the coffee shop (this is one of the dangers of marking at a coffee shop) but I will stick some fruit and healthy crackers and cheese in my bag for a snack. And drink more green tea and water. When I get home, I get to write exams until I crash and need sleep.
Oh man, my life sounds really dull if you read those first two paragraphs. However, the rest of my weekend has been a lot of fun. I went out for dinner on Friday night which was really fun and saw the movie The King's Speech on Saturday with a long lost friend. The movie was excellent. It had so many excellent actors playing some rather important people in it. Colin Firth was George VI, Helena Bonham Carter was the Queen Mum, Geoffrey Rush was George VI's speech therapist, and Timothy Spall, who is great at playing villains in movies like Harry Potter and Sweeny Todd, was a really good Winston Churchill. It was one of those movies that was so good that everyone just claps at the end of it. I've only ever experienced the clapping at the end of a regular everyday screening of a movie in Toronto, but it felt so necessary at the end of this movie. See it if you haven't.
My movie companion was a friend who I hadn't seen since the summer. I've been re-connecting with many "long lost" friends over the holidays. Life just got so busy from September on that there are so many people I hadn't seen in forever. Making an effort to see everyone has been so rewarding and I realize how insanely lucky I am to have so many good friends. I really should add another new year's resolution which should be to be more conscientious about not letting long periods of time go by without seeing friends. I guess real life makes that hard, but Facebook and a little bit of planning help, so I know I can be better.
After dinner on Friday, we stopped by Indigo and I bought a Barcelona travel guide. This makes the trip official in that I can't change my mind now and waste $20 on a travel guide. Not to mention the Spanish course too (which starts in 1.5 weeks). I've also started browsing flights. I just have to figure out a few things before booking: a) how long Becca T can vacation for; b) whether or not my friend Jane will be coming; and c) whether to go to London first, or Barcelona first. I'm really leaning toward Barcelona first, because then I will have a direct London to Toronto flight home, as opposed to having to stop over in Germany if I did it the other way. After last year's five-airport-marathon on the way home from Nice, I want a direct flight.
So yah, even though I have to buckle down and be a good worker today (what I'd really like to do is curl up with a book), I have had a fun weekend, and I have so much to look forward to. Really, the trip is only scratching the surface. I have to say that life is pretty good these days, and I'm starting 2011 pretty happy. Yay!
10 comments:
a direct flight is almost essential to ending a trip. today was my get work done day as well. I guess those days need to happen though. glad to see 2011 starting off so well.
So long as you make it to London, baby! I am so psyched to see you :D
Going to see 'The King's Speech' this week - sounds amazing!
Cxx
I agree - it's worth it if you have to fork out more money for a direct flight, especially on the way home.
Barcelona - how exciting!
You teachers are such hard workers - seriously. Hey - I'm working on science labs for a new high school at work right now - it totally makes me think of you!
I don't see friends nearly enough either - I should make more of an effort. I'll mirror your resolution there too.
Yay for a great new and fresh year! Barcelona sounds amazing! I'm jealous that you have a friend to visit and vacation with! That helps a lot.
Sounds like you've had a fairly busy weekend with marking.
Soy celosa. Barcelona will be really fun I'm sure. Plus with the strength of the Canadian dollar, and Spain's struggling economy... it's probably a great time to travel there.
Aber Deutschland ist so kuehl. Would your layover in Germany be in Frankfurt? That's a pretty fun little city too. If you have a long enough layover, it's not that hard to get from the airport into the city center.
You're soooo busy!! I love that you're taking a Spanish class, I've been saying FOREVER that I want to take another language but it's all lip service thus far! Good for you!
I loved reading your second-to-last para about Barcelona. No way you can back out now that you have invest $20 in a guide. Hoping Becca T has 2 weeks off.
What Claire said - seeing you would be awesome!
And that sounds like a good use of weekend!
dos huevos por favor
I loved The King's Speech.
Post a Comment