Wednesday, February 02, 2011

I can only drink in Spanish.

Today was the perfect storm: my teaching school was closed, but my learning school was open! Woot!

Once I heard the good news of the snow day, and got a plethora of texts from happy teachers, I went back to bed. Then I lazed around reading a book, and actually ventured out to put my new winter boots to the test (they passed with flying colours) and get a white hot chocolate (chocolate caliente blanco) at the Second Cup. I spent the rest of the afternoon marking. I'm down to one set of stuff to mark! Yay! And, with the snow day and new semester, I won't give the kids anything markable, so I'll have a weekend free of marking. FINALLY.

Anyway, in this week's Spanish class, we learned how to conjugate -ar verbs and a bunch of new vocabulary. At the end of class, were were working on an exercise where you ask someone what they'd like to drink. To ask someone what they'd like to drink, you say ?Que deseas tomar? which translates literally in English to What do you want to take? Our teacher assured us that if we said this, everyone would understand that we were talking about drinks.

Fea asked him what we would say if we were to ask about food.

"Oh, don't worry there's a word for that. However, it's not an -ar verb so you can't learn it yet. You can only drink right now."

At least I have many options: cafe, te, chocolate caliente, cafe con leche, agua, leche, cerveza, te helado, jugo, y vino.

We also completed an exercise where we were had to state what class we would have to take according to some situations. One of the situations was "you need to get in shape." The only subject we have learned that would fit this situation is la danza aerobica.

So, right now all I can do is drink in Spanish, and the only thing I can do to work off the calories from those beverages is aerobic dance. I'm finding this language quite limiting, ha-ha!

Well, back to work tomorrow. Since Toronto hadn't had a snow day since 1999, there is really no point in hoping for a second one. Happy shovelling, amigos!

5 comments:

Jabba said...

The Spanish word for ordering food totally stuck with me for some reason. I wonder what that says about me?
Don't you just love saying 'cafe con leche'? We bought some music in Cuba by a local street band called Chocolate Caliente!!

Anonymous said...

Senor Plow no es macho,
Es solamente un borracho

Princess Pessimism said...

OMG i LOVE white hot chocolate - and didnt know that they had it at second cup. ive been spending a fortune at starbucks.

and for the record, the title of this post made me laugh so hard...ridiculous! LOL

OMG - WORD VERIFICATION IS PORKYS!!!

Miss Ash said...

I'm assuming "te" is tea....what is te helado? Or is te like peanut juice LOL. I'm kidding, but I knew someone that actually had peanut juice in their fridge.

yrautca said...

Its funny to know that teachers also love having a day off. Never thought of that when I was a kid.