You should know that as I'm writing this post, Ms. Rilo Kitty is sitting on a pillow beside me because apparently the couch is not enough for her. You should also know that I'm listening to Jenn Grant's album "Honeymoon Punch", which I was able to listen to fully on train rides this weekend and it turns out it's pretty awesome. I like it almost as much as I like the person who gave it to me. My favourite song is "Parliament of Owls". I love owls, so when I saw the song title, I hoped it would meet my expectations, and it did!
Speaking of owls, I got some owl bookends as a gift from my friend Flora, who I saw at my Toronto-friends birthday dinner on Friday night.

I, after a couple of margaritas, decided that they needed to be named after scientists, since I plan on bringing them to school to keep the binders on my desk from toppling over. Then the best names popped in my head: Watson & Crick! They are the scientists who discovered the double helix structure of DNA.
My friend Jesse, who has a major in the history and philosophy of science pointed out that Watson was a racist and Crick had a taste for LSD. Oh boo! I can handle the LSD, but I don't like racism. Sigh... ignorance can be bliss, and now my owls' names aren't so awesome.
Anyway, my Toronto party was lots of fun. I had it at my favourite neighbourhood Mexican restaurant and ate taquitos and churros, and drank mango margaritas and had a whole lot of fun.
On Saturday, I took the train to Stratford and spent the day chilling with my parents. We had Swiss Chalet for dinner, ate cake, watched a random movie on TVO ("You Can Count on Me" from 2000... it was pretty good actually) and I narrowly defeated my dad at cribbage. It was very surprising that my dad played cribbage with me as I gave him his birthday present of five new books, and he's already started on four of them. My poor mom's not going to hear from him for at least a week.
Sunday was super busy. I went to the gym, then met up for coffee with my friend Ramona, her three little boys, and my friend Heather. Then Heather and I headed downtown for some shopping. I visited my aunt, then headed home where I yet again narrowly defeated my dad at cribbage.
It started to snow pretty heavily Sunday evening, and I was half expecting texts from my Go9 friends saying they wouldn't be able to make it into town for yet another birthday celebration. Since there were no texts, I headed to the bar, and sat drinking a beer on my own and tweeting while hoping the friends that I insisted to the waitress were coming, would indeed show up. I was slightly bemused when a group of meatheads moved to the table next to me, and I tried my best to not hear any of their conversation since it would probably bring down my opinion of humanity. Luckily, my friends arrived shortly thereafter; they were carpooling and Vern was late; hence they were all late. Anyway, we had a lot of fun catching up, and our conversation quickly drowned out that of the meatheads.
This morning it was back on the train and back home. I had plans to get parts of my life in order today, but usually when it comes to plans like that, I get distracted by shiny things and my life is still not in order. Oh well, there's always next weekend, right?
Happy Tuesday bloggarinos!
6 comments:
I like the names for the owls. Perhaps this particular Watson can refer to the IBM Watson from Jeopardy taking the negative element out... but preserving the reference to the duo.
Word Verif: stompti
I LOVE CRIB!! Glad the meatheads (meadheads?! ha!ha!) didn't give you too much trouble.
Those owls are AWESOME!! I second jason's suggestion - you could name one after Watson. Did you watch that Jeopardy show?? It was pretty amazing.
My birthday is this weekend. I won't be as busy as you though, but I like it like that.
Sounds like a great weekend!
What about Pierre and Marie for the owls?
Sounds like a busy weekend!
I was walking into my gym recently when two men outside were discussing "a chick" and her "tits".... I forget what else they said, Ugh!!!
I was all prepared for my usual comment on any post involving owls, "Nice hooters" then the picture of the owls finally loaded on my slow dial-up connection here at work.
Those owls are scary. They just keep staring at me. Make them stop. MAKE THEM STOP! AAAHHH!
Sounds lovely! Can't wait to catch up with you next month!
Cxx
Post a Comment