I get to go back to school tomorrow! But then it's back to more jury duty on Friday. Hopefully Friday is my last day. I guess I could still get picked for a trial, but it doesn't seem likely (knock on wood). Apparently they don't need our services tomorrow, so we get a day "off".
The bright side of jury duty is that I still do get paid, and I don't get any vacation or sick days taken off. I managed to get a great supply teacher to fill in for me while I've been gone, so my anxieties related to leaving my classes were alleviated over the past couple days.
I spent a good hour this morning making up a good review worksheet for my grade 10s, and typing out the answers for my supply (she's not a science teacher). However, I guess that was wasted time since I'll be the one teaching tomorrow, and I don't need an answer key. Meh, oh well, it made the time pass faster.
I've almost finished two books since I've been on jury duty. No one's even been called to court in the past two days. Just a lot of sitting. There's gotta be a more efficient way to do this, right?
Last night I was at school until 7 pm making lesson plans. I went in again today because student council is involved in a project where they are making 1000 paper cranes to sent to Japan as a show of support after the earthquake. 1000 cranes has a significance to their culture; according to ancient legend if someone folds 1000 cranes, they will be granted a wish.
Anyway, by the time I got to school, 700 cranes had been folded. When I was in grade 5, I remember a grade 8 trying to teach me how to fold an origami crane and getting really frustrated with me. I never was able to complete one. I joked that origami cranes bring back traumatic memories for me. Anyway, one of my favourite student council kids taught me how to make one, and I think I made about ten or so. In fact, I was the one who made the very last crane. I was excited. Here's a picture of some of my creations.

As I was folding cranes, I was also asked by two kids for reference letters for scholarships... due on Friday of course. That means tomorrow will be pretty busy with catching up, making more lesson plans for Friday, and writing letters.
Between my vacation and jury duty, I've finished four books within the past month. I think I might do a book review post soon. Heck, maybe I'll write it while sitting on Friday.
Hope you all have nice Thursdays.
7 comments:
Awww the cranes remind me of Sadako Sasaki, the little girl in Japan who became ill. She folded hundreds of cranes before she died but did not reach 1000, so others finished them for her. They had an exhibit of the cranes in Hiroshima when I was there, I remember sitting on the bench and crying, it made me sad.
Yay for finishing two books and i'll keep my fingers crossed that Friday is your last day!
I think the gesture your SC kids are making with the cranes is a great one.
I'm guessing supply (canada) = substitute (US)?
Hoping your week of jury duty completes without any hitches.
This jury duty thing is so insane. I secretly want you to be on the jury so you can tell us about a real trial, but I know it would be a real pain in the ass.
What a nice gesture for japan!
Love that crane thing! One of my friends is folding 1,000 too. Such a sweet gesture!
Yay to book review posts! I'm going to start doing a couple of month, if only to keep me reading. I have a cunning plan - at least once a week this spring and summer, I'm going to hit up Starbucks and read for a couple of hours. No marking, no net, no schoolwork. Just coffee and books. :)
Cxx
You'd think that one of the Trailer Park Boys would be in for a court date.
So your jury duty so far has been to go sit in a room and read books?! That sounds awesome!!
You should totally do a book review.
How do I sign up for this jury thing? It sounds awesome.
Post a Comment