I just got home from a very enjoyable show at the Music Gallery.
The Music Gallery is one of my favourite venues in Toronto. It's located in a small church just off of Queen St. W. It's like a little oasis of calm in the middle of downtown.
Christine Fellows is a great person to hear at a venue with such great acoustics. Her songs are an eclectic mix that deal with topics such as spinsters, birds, stenographers, and well, death. Also, she's from Winnipeg, which is a town that tends to produce some interesting musicians, imho.
As I was discussing with my friend Jane, who accompanied me to the show, her music also exemplifies female friendship to me. I first saw Christine with my great pal Becca T. In fact, we had gone to see her play because we were more interested in who was playing before her, and had actually planned on leaving during her set since it was a school night, but we fell in love with her music and stayed and each bought her wonderful album "Paper Anniversary".
Since then, I've seen her play again with Becca T, and have also gone to a couple of her shows with my friend Jane. Christine played this show with two cellists, who both seem like they are her friends, so that's why I consider her shows to be kind of girl-power-bonding moments. However, I know lots of guys who like her music too, so it's not exclusive.
Anyway, I had a great first show of the trifecta, and I'll try to post after my other concerts this week (Thursday and Friday). I'll leave you with a picture I took (on my iPhone so not the best but it gives you an idea of the intimacy of the venue), and one of her songs if you are interested.

5 comments:
Wow, cool! I'm listening right now and she sounds great. I like the sound of a concert like her in an old church.
Now get to bed or you will be late for school in the morning!
I love venues like that! I once saw Sarah Sleane at a church in TO and LOVED it!
Nice. I love gigs in churches.
Cxx
Looks like a venue I'd like to go to.
The acoustics in a church are much better than a club, I bet. Plus, Jebus is always there.
Post a Comment