Sunday, June 05, 2011

She told me she loved me like fireworks. And that's the way I like it.

It's been a busy weekend overall. And that's the way I like it.*

Friday night was prom night. I wasn't planning on going until a couple of weeks ago when I was having lunch with Fea and R (gym teacher friend) and R was talking about prom and then looked at us and said "You're going.... right?"

Both Fea and I looked confused and replied "No. Are we supposed to be going?"

R responded "Of course! We went last year! It's an annual thing. I bought my ticket. You guys had better be there so I have good people to sit with!" R is extremely fit and scary so we realized we'd better figure how to get to prom.

So, I managed to grovel to the prom organizer, and apologize for missing the staff deadline for prom tickets by a month and got me and Fea tickets. Funny side note: many of our staff thinks *I* was in charge of prom. If I had $35 for how many people tried to buy prom tickets from me, I'd have at least $175.

Anyway, so we carpooled together and R was in charge of getting us a table with a few of our other friends. However, there weren't enough of us to fill a table so I ended up with the luck of sitting beside someone who I wouldn't necessarily choose as a dinner companion. (Claire - think opposite of Raimundo.) It provided Fea and R with a lot of laughs at my expense though.

Luckily prom is not just dinner and overall it was fun seeing all the kids dressed up and having a good time. They're always so sweet at prom and it warms my heart a lot.

I had a hard time getting motivated on Saturday. In fact I didn't do a whole lot of anything until Jason came over and we went out for beer and hamburgers at my neighbourhood brewery (my 'hood's got everything!). We had plans to maybe go see a movie after that, but decided to come back here and watch the hockey game instead. I fell asleep when it was 2-1 for Boston; however, I was pleased to wake up and find out that Vancouver pulled it through somehow.

I think I fell asleep yet again after that, until Jason woke me up and told me to go to bed. Then I gave some words of wisdom: "You only get once chance to go to sleep." However, I had no recollection of saying that until Jason told me about it today. I killed myself laughing; I don't sleep-talk much, but I will do it every once in awhile.

Today I had to wake up early-ish and buy a baby shower gift (little red baby Chucks and the book Grumpy Bird) and pick up a Zipcar to drive out to Whitby for my friend Flora's baby shower. (Yes, that's my second baby shower in as many weeks.) Her wedding shower was seriously like exactly a year ago, so it felt like huge deja vu making the trip yet again. I'm a bit sad that Becca T has been in France for all of these Flora events. I don't really know any of Flora's other friends well, so it sucks not having Becca T there to talk to. However, one person showed who I knew enough to chat to, and she sat beside me, so at least I had someone to make sarcastic comments to during the cheesy games.

After I got back to Toronto safe and sound after highway driving (I'm not a fan), I met up with Mathew for sushi and gelato and grocery shopping. Finally we got to see each other after a bunch of mishaps and cancellations. It was good catching up.

And with that, I have to get ready for another week of school. I have two more weeks of regular classes, one week of exams, and then a week of year end stuff, and then that's that. I love home stretches.

*I've been listening to Ben Lee's oldie-but-goodie album "Awake is the New Sleep" quite a bit lately because it always puts me a good mood. This is one of my face cheer-up songs from that album.

p.s. I just thought of something exciting - I don't think there are any events this week that I have to stay late after work for! WOW! I can't remember when this happened last! Of course, I'll stay late to catch up on marking and prep and stuff, but seriously having no after school extra-curriculars sounds impossible!

7 comments:

Jabba said...

You know what's weird? You call it prom! We called it 'grad' when I was in high school. I thought prom was an American thing but maybe it's different depending on where you are!
It WOULD be fun seeing what everyone is wearing!!

Glad you had someone to talk to at the shower during the games - you always need that person to act as a buffer hey? Good for you for making the trek. (I detest highway driving too.)

Claire said...

The opposite of Raimundo? Oh honey, I'm sorry.

On the other hand, yay prom! I totally have all kinds of John Hughes style images zooming round my head now!

Cxx

s said...

I recognized the title of the post and started singing the song. I now have to go find that cd.

Anonymous said...

I think I feel asleep at the same part of the hockey game :)

Miss Ash said...

Oh my, having to sit with someone you would rather not sit with is brutal, especially for a whole meal.

You must be soooooo glad that summer is finally almost here LOL!!!

yrautca said...

You live an adventurous and busy life my friend.

Unknown said...

I want to live in a neighbourhood like yours. It sounds so cool. I love my life but yours would be a pretty cool too. x