Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Rachel, Rachel, Rachel, wake up.

After a couple of sunny days where I went on some bike rides and sat in the sun on a patio and read a bit, the weather's turned a little cloudy and ominous. And what bad timing. There is a screening of The Muppet Movie in a park downtown courtesy of TIFF, and Jason and I had plans to go, but it looks like it's gonna thunderstorm, so that might not happen.

Yesterday, I received a letter from AA in the mail in response to my complaint about the customer service I received after my cancelled flight. It included a voucher towards a flight in the future. It could cover a trip to NYC, Chicago, or Boston (I've been doing my research), but I've been to those places all recently. It's not like I have to use it right away; it doesn't seem to have an expiry date, but I've already been thinking about how I could use it. I've always wanted to experience NYC at Christmastime and go skating at Rockefeller Centre. Or maybe I can use it to go somewhere warm (Miami? California?) in the the winter. Anyway, it's just a fun thing to think about.

Yesterday, a new album came out by a band I recently discovered: Library Voices. It's called "Summer of Lust" and it's a really catchy album. I love it. My favourite song on it is "The Prime Minister's Daughter". It's a pretty catchy tune that imagines that Stephen Harper's daughter will grow up to date a dude in a band which would be highly ironic considering his views on arts-funding. Give it a listen:


All the other songs are similarly clever and catchy. Another catchy song, sung to the city of Regina, is "Regina, I Don't Want to Fight", which I found ironic listening to considering my recent post about never having been to Saskatchewan.

Hmmm, what else? I've been having such a laid-back week this week. It's my first this summer. I've been using extra time to cook a little bit, sleep in, catch up with some friends online, and to chill. I'm getting a mani-pedi tomorrow, and I have plans to go on a mini road-trip to Niagara Falls with a friend on Saturday. Next week, I'll have to start planning lessons and photocopying. I think I'm a bit ready to go back. Daresay I'm getting bored and I could use money. I could have more summer vacation, but to enjoy it, I'd have to go on another trip, and that costs money, and I need to work for more money, so that's where I am now - I need to work another year to support my holidays. But I'm hoping I have some nice classes that will allow me to nerd out and plan some fun lessons.

Happy Wednesday everyone!

7 comments:

Alexandra said...

glad that AA has tried to make it right! i find that planning for the holidays is half the fun.

Jabba said...

I like this music - I'll have to check them out further!

I always wonder how teachers do it financially - I guess you have to budget throughout the year for your time off. It must be worth it though - two whole months in a row off - oh, what bliss!

We have a free movie thing in Victoria too - but the movies this year were lame. Pee Wee Herman? Who picks these movies?! We didn't go this year.

Miss Ash said...

Yay, gotta love free stuff! Especially free vacation stuff! What I don't love is the thunderstorm that is supposed to role in any minute now, big dislike!

jason said...

Portland! Oregon or Maine.

Anonymous said...

Okay, if you're going to the falls, here's what ya gotta do.
Cross the border (Rainbow Bridge) and drive north to Lewiston. Go to the town's main street, I think it's called Center St. Take that street westward towards the water. Once you reach the water, turn right. On your left will be a little diner surrounded by picnic benches. It's called The Silo. Get the Haystack with a cup of loganberry drink.
It is the best footlong sandwich I've ever had. Or quite possibly, the best sandwich I've ever had. It is worth the little bit of extra driving and border crossings.

The Grunt said...

I first thought that they were singing "Parliment's naked butts".

If I had a plane ticket to any state of my choosing it would be bliss.

Claire said...

Yay for AA coming through! Phone call soon?

I can't believe it's back to school already...

Cxx