I got home this evening from a super fun few days in Kingston. I got to visit a friend, make new friends, explore a cute little city, and go to a music festival on a cute little cottage-y island. Fun!
I arrived on Wednesday, and went out for Vietnamese food for dinner, followed by a refreshing swim in the lake. On Thursday, I got a thorough tour of Kingston by foot, and spent a nice evening at a pub. We had plans to go paddle-boarding on Friday, but since the forecast called for rain, the paddle-board rental place was closed, so we drowned our sorrows with one of those margaritas with a Corona stuck in it. Instead of paddle-boarding, we shopped around downtown Kingston, which proved to be profitable because I found a really cute pair of silver leaf earrings.
We ordered pizza for dinner, which was hilarious because it took us an embarrassingly long time to navigate the pizza place's new online ordering system. I don't even think we'd had drinks by that time! After we got our hard-earned pizza, we went out in the pouring rain to catch the ferry to Wolfe Island.
My pal Melly, who had been watching the weekend's weather forecast with the eyes of a hawk, had messaged me to bring a raincoat since the POP for Friday was 90%. Of course, being the city girl that I am, I didn't own a proper summer raincoat. I find all you really need is an umbrella in the city since public transit can get you most places, and on rainy days I just stay inside. Thankfully, I was able to pick up a last minute rain jacket at the Eaton Centre before I caught the bus to Kingston. I needed it for that ferry ride, I tell you. And, I think it'll probably come in handy for my trip to BC, so it was a great last minute purchase.
As soon as we got off the ferry, the rain let up somewhat. Wolfe Island is a very cute cottage community with little churches, restaurants, and an annual music festival. We made it to the baseball field where some bands were playing. They were supposed to be playing in front of the town hall, but that was moved because of the rain. Anyway, we got some beer, and had fun seeing Mike O'Neill and the Pinecones, before Elliott Brood hit the stage for a really fun set. The rain had completely stopped by the time we settled in for the bands.
We headed over to the General Wolfe hotel to hear a bit of Yukon Blonde. We couldn't see them since the place was so packed. After awhile we thought that we should get the next ferry, but didn't consult the schedule, and found out we had to wait until the 1:20 am ferry. We walked around town for a bit, and heard someone singing "Rockin' in the Free World" from somewhere, and figured that we should crash that party. It turned out to be Hollerado playing in a sweltering church hall, and we stayed there for awhile, obtained 2-for-1 beer, and fist pumps. We had a super fun end to the evening dancing to Hollerado before we caught the last ferry to Kingston.
The format of the WIMF changes on the Saturday to just one stage. We got there in time to see a fun band named Nightbox, then went for lunch at the Island Grill, where we ordered too much food, and then spend the rest of the day lounging and listening to bands. Zeus put on a great set, but the highlight of the evening was Rich Aucoin. I have never seen such a fun and interactive performer. I knew none of his songs, but he turns his show into a multimedia interactive experience, so I was singing and dancing along. It was incredible. I've turned into a convert and will be there next time he plays Toronto. Oh, and he did it all with borrowed equipment! Air Canada had lost his gear!
Here's a video for one his songs. It's fun but does not translate how insanely fun he is live. Go see him if you can!
Today was a lazy day with brunch, the Kingston antique market, and a bus-ride back to Toronto. I'm glad to be home, but I won't be for long; three more sleeps and I fly to Vancouver!
Also, I totally would like to do WIMF again, but I'll be in Kenya for next year's WIMF. My deposit cheque cleared, so I assume that means I'm officially going! Yay! Maybe my next WIMF will be in 2014!
5 comments:
Pizza novas website blew up while I tried to order on Saturday. Used pizza ville instead. Website told me 50 minutes. Arrived in 24. Pizza was okay.
Drove to Bolton for more pizza on Sunday. It's worth the drive. Trust me.
Ok, if you don't start posting photos soon I WILL go mental. Also, noooooooo! You won't need rain gear out here! That cannot happen!
I SOOOO love the sound of your trip there. Man, I could use some cottage life right about now. Also, the margarita with a corona stuck in it sounds awesome.
Three more sleeps! We have to coordinate! Although no worries, because I have the days marked. Looking forward to it!
Loving your summer :)
PS I need to try those cocktails!
Exciting times and hurrah for Kenya!
Post a Comment