Wow, #TR2012 was pretty amazing last night. Sloan came on and played the album straight through with virtually no banter in between songs. Even though I've been listening a lot to Twice Removed lately, I never truly realized how truly awesome the first four songs (Penpals, I Hate My Generation, People of the Sky, and Coax Me) are when played together. It was a 1-2-3-4 punch of awesomeness.
Of course, the highlight for me was track #9 - Deeper Than Beauty, which is probably my favourite Sloan song, and one that I've heard live only twice. Patrick and Jay left the stage for the song; it was just Chris on guitar, Andrew on drums, and their extra percussion player. It was a great crowd sing-along. As my pal Eric observed "that song seems to be everyone else's favourite too!"
A great bonus was that Jennifer Pierce, of the Halifax band Jale (obscure East Coast indie rock reference FTW), was on hand to sing vocals on the final TR track, "I Can Feel It". That song is incredibly sweet.
After the TR set, the band took a break and came back to play a second set. I felt the second set was a great Sloan set with lots of songs from 2011's "The Double Cross", the big three singles from 1996's "One Chord to Another", "The Other Man", "Who Taught You to Live Like That", "Money City Maniacs", "I Am the Cancer", and "Underwhelmed" as the finale.
I went to this Sloan show with three people who had never seen Sloan live before, and they all had a great time. I think everyone that I've ever brought to a Sloan show have quickly become converts to the experience. I've lost count of how many times I've seen Sloan, but I look forward to their next tour. Apparently they are going to make a new album in 2013, and they also want to re-release 1996's "One Chord to Another", so perhaps there will be another album tour next year!

4 comments:
I love concert experiences like this.
++++++1. sounds like a great show.
excellent - this sounds great. I love Sloan.
so an idea was floated to me today. see sloan in february in february, possibly in halifax (it would be pretty sweet to see them in halifax) or pei (seeing as i've never been). this is under serious consideration.
Post a Comment