I just realized that I'm going to be super busy until next Thursday with two concerts (Patrick Watson and then Hawksley Workman), birthday parties, a Kenya meeting, friends in from out of town, talent show auditions, and more. So, I'd better get a random blog post out while I still can.
1) Hayden
Is anyone else here a Hayden fan? He's a Canadian indie rocker best known for his mid-nineties song "Bad As They Seem" which is such a delightfully depressing song. This song can make me a little bit teary on the best of days (and the past couple of days haven't been the best of days).
Anyway, even though many people forgot about him, he put out a few really good albums after the nineties. His last album came out in 2009, so it's been awhile but a pleasant surprise when I got an email from his mailing list today announcing a new album in 2013 along with this gorgeous teaser video.
Even better, you can download the whole song for free at rollingstone.com!
So I've been having a Hayden evening. I have a friend at work, an awesome lady in her late forties with a love of indie rock, who loves Hayden so I sent her all this info. She wrote back saying she's been watching some of his recent videos from some shows in Europe on YouTube where he's got a bit of gray in his hair and less of a beard and looking better than ever. I agree.
Anyway, the point of this is that it's nice to re-discover old favourites.
2) Students
Today was one of those days where my students really lifted my mood just by being themselves. I spent my lunchtime with some of them who had to finish up an assignment, and we had a lovely chat about humans colonizing Mars. There is a plan for that, did you know? I did not.
3) Friends
I have awesome friends. That is all.
4) Non-depressing book for a teenage girl
Student council does a Kris Kringle gift exchange yearly. I picked the President's name, which I am super happy about, because I've known her for three years and I thought she'd be easy to buy for. I'm knitting her mittens with a gorgeous blue-green wool, and she likes to read, so I thought I'd get her a book.
One of the teenagers going on the Kenya trip mentioned she really liked the book "The Fault in Our Stars" by John Green. I thought this would make a great gift, but I decided to read it first before I bought it as a gift. It's a great book, but a little bit depressing. It's about a teenage girl who meets a boy through her cancer support group (he's a survivor) and they fall in love. It's a nice love story with great writing, but not a happy ending. It's the kind of book that I'd recommend, but not give as a gift.
I still want to give her a book, but all of the books that I read are depressing. The book doesn't have to be YA, but something uplifting. Any suggestions? Jabba? Claire? Siobhan? I'm looking at you!
5) Nice girls finish last.
That's what I'm feeling these days. Seriously. I feel like being a nice, kind person is often my downfall. Blergh. Inspirational messages regarding this are welcome.
6) Impromptu Vacation
So, I was planning on sticking around Toronto and Stratford for my Christmas break but as there have been some recent changes in my life, I realize that I need to escape. I messaged my friend Heather, who is always up for a trip, to see if she'd like to go somewhere. And she would. But where?? I'm not sure. These are my ideas:
a) Boston - I've been to most awesome and accessible US cities (Chicago, NYC, San Fran) and Heather was just in New Orleans so those are out. Okay, I was even in Boston a couple summers ago. But I feel I'd like more time with that city. It might be cold though.
b) Montreal - I've really only been to Montreal for a weekend. Shameful.
c) Quebec City - I just thought of this one!
d) Since a) through c) will be cold, there's always the possibility of a warm destination. Maybe Mexico? Who knows!
Anyway, I'll keep you updated on those plans, and suggestions are welcome.
Random post out, and I'll hopefully check in during my week of busyness.
7 comments:
i can't remember if you've been out to portland (oregon), but that's a cool city i think you'd like.
boston in the winter isn't that fun.
dc? san antonio should be warm. if it were summer i'd recommend western montana.
qc would be pretty cool though.
Nice girls suspect they're coming last. They end up winning.
In other news, rather depressingly I can't think of a single non-depressing teenage girl book. I'll put my brain to it.
I'm interested in your reasoning that nice girls finish last. Not necessarily disagreeing with you, just wondering.
Books for a teenager? I read Girl in Translation this summer and thought it was pretty enjoyable. Otherwise, I feel like a book about kids doing some sort of outdoor adventure would be cool haha.
Finally. I adore Boston. But I personally think it would be more enjoyable in the spring when things are in bloom and such. Then again, it could be beautiful around Christmas too (Chicago is and I actually think of many similarities between the cities). Otherwise, I think going somewhere like Mexico would be awesome. Miami? Cuba? California?
Okay, what about Gone Girl? I'm midway but you know the ending - your call.
Not depressing, and a novel? That's tough. My suggestions: The Last Spike by Pierre Berton. Jewel by Bret Lott was pretty good, not too depressing. Or the classic (but predictable and she's probably read it) Time Traveler's Wife.
We're watching Cheers from the beginning so Boston is stuck in my mind these days.
I vote for the Caribbean. The warm weather and sun will be enough to lift your spirits. Vitamin D is important!
Also, you need to remember that you are completely awesome. Don't let anyone make you think or feel otherwise. You're one of my favourites.
Christa
On the "nice girls finish last" thing, I felt that way a few weeks ago as well...still do! I decided that was it no more nice Ash but the day I decided that I found $15 in a self check out counter (someone had left their change) and handed it in. I can't even be mean when I want to be.
Argh I just read this and can't think of non depressing teenage girl books at the moment but know there were some I loved when I was younger but I was always drawn to darker stuff. Maybe you can get All My Friends Are Superheroes if there is still time? Read it first but I think it is suitable for teenagers and I adore it.
Post a Comment