Tonight I went to see one of my long-standing loves, Hawksley Workman, play in the gorgeous (both aesthetically and acoustically) Trinity-St. Paul's United Church.
It's been about a year-and-a-half since I've seen Hawksley live, and wow, I've missed him. How my heart swelled when he first took the stage.
He played an awesome variety of songs. His songs are definitely part of the soundtrack of my life, and I can't help but be nostalgic during one of his shows.
"You, Me, and the Weather" brings me back to the first time I saw him live with Becca T at the Rivoli when we were in university. He was debuting his album "(Last Night We Were) The Delicious Wolves" with a string quartet and his piano player, Mr. Lonely. That was the first indie rock show I went to in Toronto, and well, as you all know, it started a habit for me.
"Oh You Delicate Heart" brings me back to this March, when I was walking around Paris, listening to a lot of Hawksley, and feeling sad. However, hearing this song in December made me realize that I am so over that sadness and that's a good place to be.
He played some Christmas songs from his great Christmas album "Almost A Full Moon". They brought me back to many Christmases, and a fun memory of driving around London ON with some of my high school friends, listening to this album, and looking for Christmas lights.
"Autumn's Here" will always remind me of my year teaching on a reserve in remote Northwestern Ontario. I would sometimes walk by the graveyard listening to this song (on my discman!) and I could just feel ghosts in the autumn air.
Pretty much every song he played tonight with Mr. Lonely (love the long-standing partnership) evoked memories for me. His songs are so special to me, and it was a great show.
I had thought it was going to be my last 2012 show, but as you guys know I booked Young Empires for Christmas Eve. Then, earlier this week, I spontaneously bought tickets to see The Joel Plaskett Emergency with my friend Paul on Sunday night. It's an all ages show (no beer!!!) but it'll still be amazing.
Oh concerts, you are my favourite.
2 comments:
This is a good way to cap off 2012.
I'm jealous of your concerts. I just asked Brad to go see Fleetwood Mac and he won't go because it's too expensive. Now I'm grumpy thinking I'm going to miss it!!
Love how to associate music with specific moments in your life - we are sooo alike that way.
Post a Comment