Wednesday, April 10, 2013

My Vinyl Collection

I bought myself a turntable back in February.  Truth is, I started accumulating vinyl before I even got my turntable. 

I've been collecting old favourites, new releases, and rare finds, as well as picking up some new surprises.  Yes, yes, I know I should get some good old fashioned vinyl, back from vinyl's heyday, and not today's vinyl which has been produced for obnoxious hipsters.  My dad has TONNES of great vinyl at home (Dylan, The Beatles, the Stones, Springsteen, Cohen, etc., etc.) but WILL NOT let me take it.  I tried to borrow his copy of Abbey Road (which he'd actually bought from the Stratford Public Library when they were getting rid of their vinyl collection so it's not like it's some pristine copy) and he put his foot down and said no.  I've never seen him so adamant about anything.  There was never this degree of foot-putting-down at any point in my childhood.

Anyway, I thought I'd share with you what I've stocked up so far.

Old Favourites
Metals - Feist
Let it Die - Feist
Left & Leaving - The Weakerthans
Middle Cyclone - Neko Case (180g)

New Releases
The North - Stars (blue vinyl!)
Us Alone - Hayden
Provincial - John K. Samson
Coexist - The xx

Rare Finds
The Sound of the Life of the Mind - Ben Folds Five (autographed 180g vinyl!)
Get Along - Tegan and Sara (limited edition live album released on white vinyl for record store day)

New Surprises --> Stuff I just picked up hoping it would be good.  All of it was!
Sun - Cat Power (180 g)
The State of the World Depends on this Kiss - Whitehorse
In the Aeroplane Over the Sea - Neutral Milk Hotel (180g)

Anyway, I'm really enjoying a new/old way to listen to music.  Vinyl artwork is amazing, and it's fun to physically turn over albums.  I'm a huge fan of 180g vinyl too.  It sounds sooooooo good.

I want to keep building by getting old favourites, new releases, rarities, and splurging on surprises.  I really want to get more of The Weakerthans on vinyl.  I've been re-discovering my favourite band in the past week, and I need the album Reconstruction Site.  That will be a priority.  Of course, I must get Feist's The Reminder to complete the trifecta.  I want more Stars too.

There aren't a whole lot of new releases coming out soon that I know of that I will definitely be picking up on vinyl.  When Neko Case finishes her next album this year, you can bet that I'll pick it up on vinyl.  Also, Arts & Crafts is coming out with a 10th anniversary compilation, and I'm totally going to splurge on that.

My little collection will grow quickly I'm sure.

What albums would be your vinyl must-haves?

5 comments:

wigsf3 said...

You never reach for a man's Abbey Road. That sin is unforgivable.

Unknown said...

I have a bunch of records stuck at my parents, and my dad has a magnificent collection that barely sees the light of day, but my brother has already called dibs on a lot of it and he is a real vinyl junkie so I guess that makes sense!

Claire said...

Ooooh, good call - I'd probably go classic - some Queen, some Abba, some Fleetwood Mac. Then maybe some BFF for good measure. Love that you're into this.

Aaron said...

I picked up 180 gram Abbey Road a couple weeks back :)

I'm on the lookout for Avalanche - MG on vinyl. Kick myself for not buying it from the site years ago every time I look at the prices on eBay

Jabba said...

A friend of mine has the entire Rolling Stones collection on vinyl. He's offered it to me and I WANT IT. But I don't have a turntable. Yet.
Once we buy a house....if ever.

I would DEFINITELY invest in Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars and Hunky Dory. Once I had those, then I would move on from there.....

I wish I could stop by to share a bottle of wine and listen to a record!