Tuesday, December 03, 2013

Book Reviews (a la Jabba)

Considering that it's been a busy fall, I've still been able to read a few books; however, I've read more in the past three weeks or so than in the previous three months.  I figured why not review what I've been reading?

The Silent Wife - A.S.A. Harrison



This book has been touted (at least on subway posters) as this year's Gone Girl.  In the genre of dark, twisted suspense novels about dysfunctional marriages, it definitely delivers.  I've lent it to my dad, and to my work spouse, and it's one of those novels that you definitely want to share with other because you really want to talk about the ending, and what you think may have happened.  Don't worry, I won't spoil it here.  If you like a good page-turner, pick this up!  I read it in less than 24 hours!


He's Gone - Deb Caletti



After finishing The Silent Wife, I wanted another book up the alley of a dark thriller about a dysfunctional marriage.  I used Goodreads to find other books like The Silent Wife and decided to pick this one up from my local bookstore.  It was all right.  It centres around a woman whose husband just suddenly goes missing one day, and the fallout from his disappearance.  It wasn't a bad book; just rather mediocre.

Big Brother - Lionel Shriver




Shriver is the author of We Need to Talk About Kevin which is a book so dark and twisted, that I had to read it twice, and then go see the movie.  I came across Shriver's latest at the library, and it sounded intriguing: this book is about a woman whose older brother comes to visit her, and he has gained about 200 pounds since she's last seen him.  He has no place to go, and ends up staying with her and causing great strain on her marriage and life. 

This book is another read with a bit of a twist ending.  I'd love someone else to read this, so I can find out what they think about the ending!  Shriver is an excellent writer, however, this was one of those books where I found I didn't care much for the characters, and some of the plot seemed rather contrived.  However, the quality of the writing and surprise ending somewhat make up for this book's faults.


Joyland - Stephen King



Stephen King is prolific, and his first book of 2013 is a fun pulp fiction set in an amusement park in a beach town in the 1970s.  It's got ghosts, suspicious carnies, unsolved murder, and an exciting climax atop a ferris wheel in a lightning storm.  This was a fun read!

The Dinner - Herman Koch



The Dinner is yet another book that has been compared to Gone Girl, but I had shied away from it because some of the Goodreads reviews described it as overly descriptive and boring.  The entire book takes place over a dinner between two couples who must discuss the terrible crime committed by their teenaged sons.  At first, I agreed with the reviews; this book definitely started off slowly and I started feeling frustrated because I wanted to know what the terrible crime was, dammit.  However, once the plot starts to unravel, it becomes oh-so-horrific, and oh-so-fascinating.  As the novel progresses, you discover that the narrator isn't quite what he seemed at first, and twists and turns abound!  It definitely compensates for the slow start.  In fact, I got so hooked on this book that I finished it in less that 48 hours.

One thing I do notice from my fall book reviews, I'm definitely into dark twisted novels these days!  Wow.  I'd better make my next read a little bit lighter!  Perhaps something about kittens and unicorns?  I do have a bunch of books on my Kobo that I need to get through, so perhaps I'll start something a little less murderous/crime-riddled/creepy/dark tonight.

3 comments:

Jabba said...

The Stephen King book sounds like a Tom Waits song!!! I've marked the first two books as To-Read on my Good Reads from you. Oh Kobo, will you ever put a good book on sale again?? It's been all romance, young adult and second rate crap for the last year or so.

Unknown said...

For light but not fluffy do try Andrew Kaufman. I love his novels. I am following Infinite Jest with Christmas at the Cupcake Cafe. It is all about balance after all.

Kevin said...

I have not read a book in a long time. I am definitely looking forward to the downtime that is ahead so I can indulge.