Well, I'm back in Toronto, reunited with my cat friend Rilo, and happy to be back in my own space. For what seems like the first time in months, I have a quiet Friday night to myself, and I decided why not compose my list of favourite albums of the year!
Now, I kind of feel like I'm playing music critic when I write this list, and I realize that I'm totally no expert when it comes to music. My list is usually made of half of new bands that I discovered this year (that may be old to most people), and half of bands that I've loved for years. Also, because of life, I just don't have time to check out all of the albums. Like I haven't even checked out Arcade Fire's "Reflektor" yet this year, and maybe it should be on this list, but maybe not. I don't know. All I do know that if I like that album, it'll be a 2014 memory for me.
With that said, here's the list of the music that will forever be my soundtrack of 2013.
HONOURABLE MENTIONS
A) Give Up (Deluxe 10th Anniversary Edition) - The Postal Service
I don’t know how I feel about including a re-issue on a best of 2013 list, because it kind of makes the year look lame, but I really loved getting (re)-acquainted with this album this year, so I’ll give it an honourable mention. (Although I have seen this album included on some best of 2013 lists.) I don’t think I fully connected with it in 2003 anyway, because that was the year that I was isolated from civilization in a remote northwestern Ontario community. The packaging of the vinyl set of this edition is gorgeous, and I fell in love with songs like “The District Sleeps Alone Tonight” and “Nothing Better”. The new-ish material and remixes are worthwhile listening to as well. Bonus: Seeing them play at the ACC with Jenny Lewis from Rilo Kiley was an absolute 2013 highlight for me.
Fave songs: The District Sleeps Alone Tonight & Nothing Better
B) Arrows of Desire - Matthew Good
I was not a fan of this album on first listen. I liked how a couple of the tracks melded into each other, but there was a lot on it that I couldn’t connect with. Fast forward to me seeing Matthew Good play this album live at Massey Hall at the beginning of November, and this album clicked for me. I spent lots of time after the show listening to this album, and although it’s not my fave MG work, it’s definitely grown a lot on me.
Fave songs: Had it Coming & Letters in Wartime
NOW ONTO THE TOP TEN!
10) Fade Away - Best Coast
I’m not sure if this album is classified as an LP or an EP as it only has 7 songs. What it lacks in quantity, it definitely makes up for in quality. This album has a punk rock heart, with the heart of the saddest country song. Bethany Cosentino has a strong soulful voice like Jenny Lewis or Neko Case. I love this little album.
Fave songs: This Lonely Morning & I Don’t Know How
9) Ultramarine - Young Galaxy
I feel that 2013 is the year of me connecting with bands for which I feel like I’m late for the party. Young Galaxy is the first. I discovered this album because a random friend invited me to their show at Lee’s Palace, and I downloaded Ultramarine as prep for the show. This album is electronic-y and groovy, and has a decidedly summer feel to it.
Fave songs: Pretty Boy & New Summer
8) If You Leave - Daughter
I know nothing about this band, other than I really like this album. It’s dark, and rather depressing, and comes in handy when you’re in an emo mood and hating on love and romance. Great sounds for the autumn. Youth is such a lovely sad song that will haunt me for years to come. (Sample line: “setting fire to our insides for fun; collecting names of the lovers that went wrong”.)
Fave songs: Youth & Winter
7) Trouble Will Find Me - The National
The National is yet another late-to-the-party band for me. Everyone’s loved them for years, and this is the year that I’ve gotten into them, with help from my hair stylist and a friend from work. It’s another great emo hating-on-love album, and I have to be careful not to listen to it too much or I’ll get super sad, but it’s so good that it’s hard not to listen. These are the catch-22s of my life, I suppose.
Fave songs: This is the Last Time & Pink Rabbits
6) Volume 3 - She & Him
This is my last late-for-the-party band of 2013. Unlike #s 7 and 8 on this list, this album is pretty upbeat, and I’ve spent a lot of time spinning this on my turntable while doing adorable Zoe Deschanel things in my apartment like writing, wrapping gifts, and knitting. This album has a special place in my heart because it reminds me of seeing She & Him at TURF in July with some friends and getting rather tipsy and dancing around like a fool. I’d classify this as happy summer music.
Fave songs: I’ve Got Your Number, Son & Somebody Sweet to Talk To
5) Pure Heroine - Lorde
How did a 16-year-old produce such a mature album? I don’t really understand how Lorde is so great but she is. She nails how I, a 33 year-old-woman, feel about having to go out and party and things with lines like “I kind of over getting told to throw my hands up in the air” and “I’m kind of older than I was when I revelled without a care”. And, she name checks a Broken Social Scene song (Lover’s Spit) in another one of her songs. I guess my kindred spirit is a teenage pop star from New Zealand, and I’m fine with that.
Fave songs: Ribs & Team
4) Heartthrob - Tegan & Sara
I’ve been a fan of Tegan & Sara for years, and I totally dig how they embraced a completely pop sound for their new record. Heartthrob opens with “Closer” which is a delightful song about falling for someone new and just needing to get closer with them. Who doesn’t love that feeling. But then, BLAM! on track #2, love goes wrong and you’re saying “Goodbye, Goodbye” to that person who just wasn’t as great as they seemed. Yes, you might think that this is a sappy love album from Closer, but it’s actually a great pop album about love gone wrong. I think the best songs tend to be about love gone wrong, no?
Fave songs: Closer & Drove Me Wild
3) NO BLUES - Los Campesinos!
Los Campesinos! is in my top five bands, and they have such a strong hold in my top five because each album they put out is strong, and NO BLUES is no exception. Their music tends to be deliciously dark, gothic, and morose, yet it’s so fun to sing-along to. I knew that this album would be up my alley as soon as they released the first single “What Death Leaves Behind” and the other songs did not disappoint me. I find LC!’s lyrics evoke strong images for me, like as in the song “As Lucerne/The Low” where Gareth sings about his tunes sending “all the patrons home to make up with their first wives”. If you like dark, clever music, NO BLUES is for you.
Fave songs: As Lucerne/The Low & Avocado Baby
And now, here is where I totally lame out and TIE TWO albums for my favourite of 2013 because I can’t decide between the two.
1) The Worse Things Get, The Harder I Fight, The Harder I Fight, The More I Love You - Neko Case
First of all, this is my favourite album title ever. Neko Case’s albums never disappoint me, and I was so excited for her latest album. This album is the product of depression she suffered after the death of her grandmother, and I think anyone who has suffered death and sadness will be able to relate to her songs. Neko’s voice is as strong, beautiful and unique as ever, and her song-writing is the same. On “Nearly Midnight, Honolulu” she sings about overhearing a mother telling her child to shut the fuck up at an airport. “Calling Cards” makes me wistful for people who I miss, and “Ragtime” is my favourite winter song ever. “Where Did I Leave That Fire” evokes what it feels like when you lose yourself to depression, and I love that Neko is brave enough to write songs about such difficult material, yet make it beautiful.
Fave songs: Calling Cards & Ragtime
1) Us Alone - Hayden
I’ve been listening to Hayden since I was sixteen. For awhile, I felt his albums just kept getting better and better, but then disappeared for a few years and came back on Arts & Crafts records this year with this beautiful little album that just kept growing on me as the year progressed. It didn’t hurt that I got to see him play these songs on four occasions. Hayden, like so many of my friends, has grown up, and these songs describe the difficulties of parenting and adulthood, yet there are still songs about the importance of music, cheating lovers, and blurry nights.
Fave Songs: Blurry Nights & Rainy Saturday
And that's it. I don't even know what's coming up in 2014 musically. No clue. I look forward to discovering some new favourites, and maybe re-discovering some old favourites too.
3 comments:
I love your yearly album run-downs! You are by far the music critic I listen to the most.
In other news, last night I managed to drink almost as much white wine as we did at that wedding!
I have to get on board with this stuff. i haven't heard much on your list except Teagan and Sarah (meh) but am interested in the rest for sure!
I really liked the catchy album of Tegan and Sara. Makes me want to dance or do cartwheels.
Post a Comment