I slept through the great ice storm of 2013. Last night, I fell asleep before 11 pm, and pretty much stayed in bed until 11 am, save getting up to give Rilo some treats at 8 am or so. I think my body needed it. I really feel like the busyness of the past four months, or even the entire year, has taken a toll on my body and I'm just feeling exhausted.
I had no reason to go out today. I packed, wrapped presents for my family, and finished reading my book. My pal Mathew came to exchange gifts, and pick up my keys as he is Rilo-sitting as I'm away until Friday. He commented that I sound like Jennifer Lawrence, so perhaps that's upgrade on the state of my voice.
As I was saying, we had a ginormous ice storm while I was sleeping off the year. Somewhere around 250 000 people were without power, but I was not one of them. I had checked the status of my train early in the afternoon, and the website said all trains were running on schedule, so I wasn't worried. However, when I got to the station, the board said my train would depart an hour late. No problem, I thought. I got a snack, and then read for awhile in line for the train. The board pushed the train's departure time back another hour, then after that hour, my 5:40 pm train was scheduled to leave at 9:00 pm. What a frustrating evening.
I spent some time texting people, emailing, and the like. I also thought a bit about my optimistic character. I was just asked about whether I'm an optimist or pessimist earlier in the week, and I tend to be an optimist by nature. Although, admittedly, there are times where I just want to be negative, and if a person tries to add a bit of positivity into my negative tirade, watch out.
But I do always think the best of people when I meet them, and sometimes I wonder if that's a bad thing. But then when I'm faced with meeting new people and forging new relationships again, I slide back into my optimistic ways. And I think I'm going to stay that way because I like it. And, when I do get burned, I have a lot of friends around me anyway, so who really cares?
4 comments:
Merry Ice-mas!
Merry Christmas
(and I refuse to ever get cynical about people, I protect myself a little more but still take people at face value and try to think the best at all times - I love that you do too)
Hope you feel rested for Christmas and have a wonderful time xx
Best part of this post: "...while I was sleeping off the year...."
You are very optimistic. I have always admired that about you! Don't change, you are an inspiration. But even the most optimistic people need some time outs!
I'm glad I was one of the people who got to text you while you were at the train station.
Merry Christmas Christy and family!
Well put Rawbean.
You are super inspiring and have lots of positive energy! I think you live like me, this is my motto:
Be Kind for Everyone is Fighting Their Own Battles.
I've been rewarded time and time again for giving people a chance and being kind. Sometimes it bites us, but overall it's a good way to live.
Post a Comment