The past two days have been busy and wonderful.
Thursday - regular school day followed by a long student council meeting. I thought I'd have time to go home, but I went straight downtown to see The National at Massey Hall. And holifuck, it was a great show. I love this band live. I have to say that I'm developing a bit of a crush on Matt Berringer: a white-wine-drinking tall dude with scruffy graying hair and beard, and dark-framed glasses. That could be my new type. I loved when at the end of "Fake Empire" he dropped the mic, then threw his wine glass on the floor, and then left the stage. I seriously want to copy that move at my retirement party.
Bonus - I didn't know until the evening, but Daughter was the opening band. I love their latest album, and seeing them live was an excellent surprise.
Friday - LONG school day. It was the fifth year that I organized student council's overnight fast for charity. The group of forty students started by making bagged lunches for the homeless, and then we took a bus downtown. Half of the kids volunteered handing out race packets for the Toronto Yonge St. 10K, while the others did a street patrol handing out food (and then they switched). After that we returned to school for a bunch of activities. I even was able to take a break and go for a 5K run to Trinity Bellwoods Park and back.
I set up a borrowed tent in our school gym and managed to get 5.5 hrs sleep despite being at a sleepover with forty-teenagers.
Saturday - Still at school. The kids started with a yoga class, and then we made sock monkeys for another charity that sends them to children overseas. Ours will be going to South Africa this year. After that it was time for the kids to break the fast with a lunch of Portuguese chicken and then we were out. My friend Heather, who was visiting me from London ON, met me at school that afternoon and then we headed back to my neighbourhood. We went out for a couple of pints and then came back to my place to watch TV because that's all I had energy for. (I feel asleep, of course.)
Today - I woke up at 7:30 am to run the Yonge St. 10K. It had rained hard overnight; hard enough to wake me up and make me think that it didn't bode well for the morning's weather. Luckily, it cleared up and the day was sunny and the weather was fairly warm. My friend Sara was also running with us, and she met us at my place, since the starting line was within walking distance.
The race was super fun; I love being able to run down a major city street. My time was decent: 1 hr 4 minutes and 14.8 seconds. That's only 40 seconds slower than my 10K personal best, which is impressive considering that I was tired.
After the race, we went out for some delicious pizza and did a bit of congratulatory shopping. I treated myself to all-black high top Chucks. I've been living in Converse lately.
After Heather headed to the train station, I had a good two-hour nap and now I'm motivating myself to run out and get some groceries. Next week is a four-day week, but report cards are due, so that'll make it busy, and not so wonderful. But then it's the long Easter weekend, so yay!
5 comments:
What a fun, busy weekend! Love reading about your running adventures :)
This all sounds super cool. I also totally get the National thing.
Jealous that you got to see one of those National shows; my friends are all lame now, with their wives, and/or kids.
Also jealous of your motivation! Good job on the 10k!
Happy Easter!
I seriously laughed out loud thinking about you throwing a wine glass on the floor and walking out of your retirement party. Can I steal that too??
Post a Comment