Sunday, April 27, 2014

The saga of the R.A. Dickey bobblehead.

Preamble:  I got my trusty MacBookPro back and good as new on Friday evening!  Yay!  It's got a brand new keyboard, so it totally feels like I'm typing on a new computer.  I'm so happy to have my laptop back.  I spent a lot of time this weekend using it to catch up on TV shows like The Daily Show and Dateline NBC (one of my not-so-secret TV shames).

As I've mentioned before, my pal Mathew and I got a Flex Pack of Blue Jays tickets.  He loves free stuff, so he booked us for all of the promotional items days.  Today was R.A. Dicky bobblehead day, and I really wanted a bobblehead.  However, I figured if we got there an hour early, we'd be OK.  (I actually went to the game with another friend, Mathew met us there later.)

I figured wrong.  All of the bobbleheads were gone by the time we got there.  I thought oh well, it was just another piece of stuff to gather dust, so who needs it even if I do kind of like Dickey because he's a swell dude and the only knuckleballer in the MLB these days.  I decided that I would ease my pain with an $11 beer and get over it (after complaining on Twitter first, of course).

I also posted this picture on Instagram for my #100happydays photo challenge, reasoning that even though I didn't get the bobblehead, I was happy to be at the game.


A friend from work saw the picture on Instagram and mentioned that a group from our school was at the game today.  A few of my friends organize an annual YMCA exchange.  A group of kids get to go to another province (Alberta this year) and then a group from the other province comes to Toronto.  The YMCA funds the airfare and accommodations.  Anyway, the Albertans are in town this week, and they all went to today's Jays game.  I texted my pal Nigel who was with them, and it turned out they were just a couple sections over from me.  I could wave at them!

Of course, I asked if they got bobbleheads, and they did, and another friend from my school who was there happily gave me hers because she didn't want it!  I wandered over to their section to get the bobblehead and was warmly greeted by the kids too.  Nigel joked that the greeting made it seem like I was a celebrity and that he wanted my autograph.


There's my bobblehead with the real Dickey on the pitcher's mound.   Before all of the above happened, my friend Mathew easily bought a bobblehead off of some random person.  So everyone who wanted a bobblehead got it.  (Well, at least in my group.)

Then, I checked Twitter, and it turned out that my blog/Twitter friend Aaron was at the game too, and his group had a spare bobblehead!  My social media connections kind of pay off, eh?  However, for the rest of the promotional days, I'm not going to leave it to fate, and I'll get there super early and bring a book to read before the game.  Now that I have one bobblehead, I want the rest of this year's set (Jose Reyes, and TBD).

In other sports news, the Raptors just won game four of their playoff series against the Brooklyn Nets.  Now the series is tied at two games each.  It would be nice for a Toronto team to make it to round two of a play-off series.

And what the what?  Has this become a sports blog??

3 comments:

The Grunt said...

Nice bobblehead! Did you see Geddy Lee there? I hear he has a seat behind home plate.

Unknown said...

I like the bobblehead and the fact that you nearly got three. Brilliant x

Jabba said...

I am so seriously jealous of your pro ball game attendance. Maybe it's a good thing I don't have it around, i would go every weekend!!
Score on the bobble head and the awesome connections at the ball game!! Go social media!