Monday, June 16, 2014

Lazy Weekend.

I did a little bit of socializing this weekend, and went to see Maleficent which I loved.  But other than that, my weekend was filled with marking, with reading breaks in between sets.   (I'll confess: the reading breaks were probably longer than the working times.)

Back to the movie.  Maleficent from Disney's Sleeping Beauty was my favourite villain as a child.  I was super excited when I heard they were making a movie about her.  I think they did a really great job.  Angelina Jolie is superb, and I liked the story.  Perhaps the reason I liked Maleficent as a child was because I knew there was a backstory.  Kudos to the writer.  Also, I believe that this generation of little girls is being better served by fairy tale movies (Frozen is another example).  Instead of romantic love being the thing that conquers all (and let's face it, it's usually love-at-first-sight based upon appearances), it's a deeper kind of non-romantic love that's saving the day nowadays.  Thumbs up.

When I got home from the movie, I spent some time watching clips of the classic Maleficent on YouTube.  I love when she says to her henchmen that they are a disgrace to the force of evil.



Seriously, I think I'm going to go see this movie again, because it's so visually stunning that it rocks on the big screen.

In other throwbacks to things I liked when I was younger, I just finished reading the latest Stephen King novel.  In the past few years, I've really come to appreciate King as a writer.  His latest, Mr. Mercedes, is a page-turner, but I feel that his best work is done when he writes plots set in the 50s/60s/70s.  Some of the dialogue he uses in a contemporary setting feels a little bit off.

Sadly, my lazy weekend has come to an end, and it's back to school.  Ten more days of work though, so I can't complain one bit.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm really interested in seeing Malefecent and if you love it then that makes me more keen. Glad you had a good chilled weekend x

rawbean said...

You're the second person to say this movie is good. I'm not usually a Disney fan but I'm intrigued!!

Jabba said...

I read King when I was a teenager too and like him a lot. Christine, It, Pet Cemetery - classic King. But I did find that he rambled and as an impatient kid I would skip pages. Does he still?
Good summer reading! CBC asked over the weekend what your favourite summer read was? I couldn't come up with one answer.