This city's getting too small for me.
This all goes back to one of those shitty dating experiences that you are bound to experience if you are going through the torture that is dating in this day and age.
Back in September (the first day of school actually) I went on a really great first date with a guy with whom I had a scary amount of things in common. Music. Baseball. Books. Travel. Lefty political leanings. Social justice. He'd even been to Kenya for crying out loud.
Anyway, at the end of the date, he asked me out for that weekend right away, and even texted me before I got home to reiterate that he'd had a good time. We kept texting each other for the rest of the week. However, come Saturday morning he texted me saying he was really sick with the flu, and could we reschedule for the next weekend. Well, unfortunately I was out of town the following weekend, and a weeknight wouldn't work 'cuz he was out of town.
We kept texting tonnes during the interim, and finally when I was back from my weekend away, he asked me again to make plans for date #2.
Then I never heard from him again. Yup, it went from "do you want to go out on Saturday?" to silence.
Crazy, huh? But based upon the dating experience of other people I know, and my own, it's just a drop in the bucket. Maybe he was a pathological liar or something, and I dodged that bullet.
Fast-forward to this Saturday when I'm waiting with my friend Sara to run a 5K race for charity. I'd done the same race last year, and had a great time, so decided to do it again. It's in my neighbourhood, and you get a Christmas-themed medal and a hotdog at the end.
As we're waiting, I remember that the race is for the charity that disappearing dude works for. I tell my friend the story, with "I really hope I don't see him here," tacked onto the end.
We run the race, get our medals, and eat our hotdogs. Before we head out, we decide we need to get our picture taken, because if you don't take a picture, it didn't happen, right? (Ha-ha.) We go back to the start/finish line to get our pictures taken, and ask some random guy to do the photography. He's one of those that will take about ten pictures from different angles to ensure that you get a good shot.
After our pictures are done, I notice out of the corner of my eye that disappearing dude is at the start/finish line handing out medals. Ugh! He could have totally given me my medal and I wouldn't have noticed. When I get home, and look back at my pictures, he is in every single shot. Talk about photobombing. I spend about five good minutes cropping him out of every shot. I'll admit, it was catharctic.
Anyway, I think that Toronto is getting too small when my bad dates show up in the background of my pictures.
***
I leave for Florida in the morning! I'm trying to be excited but I really wish I was going with some of my close friends on this trip. But alas, I am not.
After that, it's a weekend wedding in Montreal with my friends from university. Even though that will be cold, I'm looking forward to the train ride (I love trains). I haven't been to Montreal in forever, so I'm looking forward to doing some exploring.
Happy Monday to the rest of you!
2 comments:
Lol! Good for you cropping the guy out. I once had a girl that I really liked use the "I'm washing my hair" excuse on me once. I didn't realize that washing your hair could have such an impact on your daily schedule. Maybe she had bags of barber hair, a collection, that needed periodic washing. I would understand, in that case.
That is so annoying that he was in all the photos. You rock though :)
Post a Comment