Monday, June 12, 2006

It is the soundtrack of your ever flowing life...

Ahhh... World Cup time in Toronto. Fun times. Now, I'm not a soccer fan; not really a fan of any sport per se (although I grew up watching baseball with my dad and can hold my own in a baseball conversation...) but I do like observing the pandemonium that goes with the World Cup. So many cars on the streets have flags attached to them. It just makes walking around kind of fun because you can test your flag knowledge. I think it reminds me of how multicultural Toronto is.

Something like 90% of the student population at my school are huge soccer fans. The madness started on Friday when kids in my period four class started to talk soccer. Then they asked me the "Miss, what are you?" question.

I get this question a lot from my students. A lot of them are either immigrants or children of immigrants, so they are keenly interested in cultural background. I gave them the standard "Half Polish, quarter English, quarter Welsh" answer.

"Oh Miss, poor you. Poland's gonna lose to Ecuador today." By gosh, they were right. The kids don't know science, but they do know soccer.

Today I had one student approach me and tell me that a really bad thing happened to her country. I was concerned, but it turned out that her country, Angola, lost to Portugal. Oh, the humanity. At least the Portuguese kids were in really good spirits today. Two of them were wearing their soccer jerseys in class (not part of the uniform) but I decided that I wouldn't fight that battle and let it go.

After school, a colleague and I wondered whether second semester marks were lower in World Cup years were lower. Wouldn't surprise me.

Anyhow, umm, maybe Poland will recover somehow. Guess I could always root for England... Or Australia.

Hmmm, so it's taken me 250+ blog posts to get to a sports-related post. It'll be a long time 'til the next one my friends. Maybe I'll save it up for if the Leafs ever make the playoffs... Ha-ha.

Countdown update: 4 more days of classes.

ps Actually, I may have done something sports related when the Olympics were on. Perhaps I save it for big sports thingys that are every four years.

6 comments:

-jason- said...

Are Canadians into soccer, or are they indifferent to the sport like Americans are? It's a fun sport, and lots of kids play it growing up... but for some reason no one follows it down here.

You used the word "thingys"... awesome.

Word Verif: sqash

Jocelyn said...

haha that is so funny
is there any chance your kids talk with british accents? because if they said "Oh Miss..." with british accents, that'd be way wicked. also, that's how i imagined it in my head.

soccer is probably the one sport i don't play but have a million friends that do.

4 days left! i'm excited for you!!

wes said...

Go Leafs!

Sadly, its a safe bet that you will hit 500 posts before the Leafs get anywhere in the playoffs. You might even hit 1000 posts. :)

Scott said...

World Cup fever is certainly alive and well in Toronto! I love it though, love seeing all the flags.

Scott

s said...

I love how you refer to major sports events as "thingys". I went for lunch with my friend Daniel today - he is from Korea and was so loving the fact they won - enough to buy lunch!!

JO said...

That's sweet that Sandee got free lunch because of the world cup!!! Score!!
You should cheer for England cus they are sure to do well. Plus their captin in hot ;)