I am indecisive.
That's why my blog has such a cumbersome name. Way back when I decided that I was going to try this blogging thing, I couldn't think of a title for my blog, so I just typed in something assuming that I'd be able to decide on a better title later. Obviously that never happened. (Actually, perhaps this isn't a testament to my indecisiveness, but to my inability to think of a good title...)
I seem to attract indecisive friends. Or at least they're indecisive when it comes to social activities. Hence "what should we do tonight?" or "should we go to such and such event?" can become questions to which determining a satisfactory answer can be an arduous process.
In high school, we determined a strategy called "not the leader". Whenever there was a decision to be made, the last person to call "not the leader" was deemed the leader and therefore in charge of making the decision. I was usually the first to call not the leader, and thus avoided having to make decision the majority of the time.
Incidentally, there is an all years' reunion for my high school this weekend. The events range from a golf tournament today (no thanks) to an open house at the school tomorrow (I don't like spending any more time in a school than need be) and a party tomorrow night. I kinda of wanted to go the party, yet kinda didn't want to go, so I was hoping that I'd use my friends to make up my mind for me. If they wanted to go, I'd tag along, but if not, no biggie.
We'd been emailling back and forth about the reunion for awhile and I think everyone was of the same opinion as me, so no decision had been made. A couple nights ago, my friend Jo asked me whether we were going or not.
"I call not the leader." Hah. I could wash my hands of the decision making process.
"Too late, Christa and I already nominated you leader."
Tricky devils. How would I outsmart them? "Fine then. I will take the easy way out, and say that we're not going. If you guys don't like my decision, feel free to declare mutiny on me."
Jo laughed at my trickiness, and looked quite tempted to declare a mutiny, just because mutiny sounded like fun. However, I was quite pleased with myself at more less not being the leader.
Luckily I do have one friend who is decisive, but often out of the email loop. Anyhow, I had to call her regarding tonight's plans, and she decided that she wanted to go to the reunion. So now there is someone who wants to go, meaning that myself and the rest will go with.
Anyhow, the point of this is that now I have an excuse to go shopping for clothes. And not back to school clothes either. Fun clothes.
p.s. I'm also kind of excited that I can go around singing my second favourite Stars song, Reunion, for the next couple of days.
p.p.s. Operation Get Sarcasm Out Of My System is going well. It's helped by the fact that I'm at my 'rents and my Dad makes a good target. I explained to him my mission, to which he replied "Oh gee, being sarcastic is going to be real tough for you, eh?"
3 comments:
This was true for me until my friends got married. Now they want to boss somebody around because they don't rule the roost at home;)
I swear, we could have an indecisive contest, I would still beat you. Absolutely no one is more indecisive than me. I never had to call "not leader" because it was just understood that I don't make decisions. I always had a car, so I was always the driver, therefore my use as a friend was taken up by those responsibilities, therefore voiding any need for me to do more. :)
It was an understanding we had. :)
all the talk about sarcasm reminds me of that Simpsons episode where homer is at hullabalooza and the angst-y twenty-somethings are there - one guy says to the other 'are you being sarcastic, dude?' and he responds 'i don't even know anymore'. LOL
ah, pluto. if only you were a little more like neptune.
i saw 'little miss sunshine' tonite. i loved the Hamburgler drinking glasses they had at the supper table. classic.
Post a Comment