Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Does anybody know how the story really goes? Or should we all just hum along?

I have a few topics of discussion for today.

1) Valentine's Day: is tomorrow. Meh. Like I did last year, I'll just listen to the song Waltz (Better than Fine) by Fiona Apple and reflect on the line "If you don't have a date, celebrate."

It's also my last day of being in my late-mid twenties.

2) The latest in ringtones: Apparently they've developed a ringtone that people over thirty aren't supposed to be able to hear. Today in one of my classes, I hear a high pitched buzz. I look around, probably with an annoyed look on my face since high pitched buzzes are never a good sign.

Kid: "Miss, can you hear that?"
Me: "Yes. What is that? It's annoying!"
Kid: "Are you over thirty?"
Hmmm... the classic do I admit to my youth quandry. I decide that I will, since they really should be aware that I am young and I am cool.
Kid: "It's a ringtone that people over thirty aren't supposed to be able to hear."
Me: "Huh. Well, I can hear it so make it stop."

Inside, I was actually pleased that my hearing is not damaged as much as much as I fear. I'm paranoid that frequent headphone use, loud concerts and loud teenagers has done a number on my auditory capabilities. I was telling older colleagues about it, and they have been appraised of the people-over-thirty-can't-hear-it ringtone by their students, and they actually cannot hear it.

Also, it kills me that the kids at my school can't keep quiet about a potential teacher-fooling device. They just have to test it on us.

3) Cover Songs - My music moods change so quickly. Yesterday it was all about those tens songs I blogged about. Today, I've been into Emm Gryner. She's fantabulous by the way. Anyhow, a couple of years ago she put out an album called "Girl Versions" where she does a bunch of covers. I downloaded a few today: STP's Big Bang Baby, Def Leppard's Pour Some Sugar On Me, DCFC's For What Reason (cough cough Wes), and Blur's Song 2. They're all super fun.

I have to say I enjoy a good cover song. My definition of a good cover is a song that I'm familiar with (I don't necessarily have to be a fan of it) done by an artist I enjoy. I especially love it when it's the double whammy: a song I already loved done by a different artist I enjoy. The combo of song that I'm unfamiliar with by artist I love works too. I find covers enjoyable because sometimes I feel that I learn something new about a song when some else sings it. Or, someone else puts an interesting spin on it. Anyhow, here are some of my other fave covers:

- Smells like Teen Spirit - Tori Amos
- Fast Car - David Usher
- Rattlesnakes - Tori Amos (she actually does lots of awesome covers, so I'll quit with the Tori)
- Landslide - The Dixie Chicks
- In Between Days - Ben Folds
- Hallelujah - Rufus Wainwright
- Will He Be Waiting for Me? - Sarah Harmer
- Handle with Care - Jenny Lewis and the Watson Twins

I'm sure there are more that I can't think of at the moment. I'm also all over it when an artist sings a really cheesy song live. R Kelly's Ignition has a place in my heart because I once saw Joel Plaskett sing it.

What are your favourite covers?

Okay, I'm off to have supper. And a glass of red wine 'cuz it's good for my heart. ;)

ps Happy Valentine's Day to all of you!

6 comments:

AlieMalie said...

hope you have a happy valentine's day too. 'round these here parts, the girls are getting together, watching movies and just hanging out.

i don't have any covers of any songs, i suppose i'm a music snob that way. whenever i hear a cover i'm constantly comparing it to the original version.

:)

wes said...

I enjoy a good cover as well. :)

I like the band Me First And The Gimme Gimmes. All they do is make punk covers of songs, and some of them are really good. As for "normal" covers, I like The Pumpkins version of Landslide, The Living End's version of Tainted Love, Face To Face's version of Paint It Black. I also like some of the ones you mentioned, the Rufus cover is good and David Usher's version of Fast Car is very good. I'm not a big Metallica fan, but my favorite song of their's is their cover of Whiskey In The Jar, its actually really good. Oh, and I almost forgot to mention The Smalls' cover of Natural Woman. Its funny when you first hear it because its a heavy metal band covering it, but you soon realize that they did a brilliant job of it. That's all I got for now. :)

Happy V-day. :)

wes said...

Oh, came up with another one. Matthew Good's Enjoy The Silence. Its awesome. :) Ok, I'll stop now. :)

Anonymous said...

Courtesy of Craig of Craig and Arianna fame, "Sex can wait, masturbate." now that's a line.

Anonymous said...

it's 12:16am on my clock.

happy birthday!

JO said...

that is a classic line
"huh, well i can hear it, so make it stop!" I laughed out loud!
I want to look into this because I don't understand how it could be inauaidable for someone over 30...strage strange