Friday, June 22, 2007

Measure me in metered lines and one decisive stare.

Well last night was my enjoyability of enjoyablities - a Weakerthans concert. The long over-two-year drought is over. It was awesome to the power of infinity. My coworker who went with me teased me about how when I really like something I say "I love it/them/whatever dearly". So after the concert she said "Did you love it dearly?" and I said "Of course I loved it very dearly!"

As you know, it was in downtown Hamilton. Downtown Hamilton is pure sketch, y'all. There we were, two Toronto girls, debating where would be the safest place to park the car in a parking lot. Should we park by a nice truck? Maybe then scoundrels would break into the truck and not our car... Or perhaps the truck would just shade the car and make it an easier target. When we were driving home after the concert, we were very sure to have our doors locked. Anyway, I don't think that Hamilton's sketchy area is that bad, after all, there are some very sketchy areas of Toronto (like where I saw Joel Plaskett), but unfamiliar sketch is scarier that familiar sketch.

The venue was a total hole, but holes are fun, and my coworker loves holes so we were quite happy. The opening band, Attack in Black, were quite enjoyable. Then it was a very short while and then the Weakerthans came on! Yay! How can I describe them? I really and truly believe that they are the best live band around. Am I biased? I don't think so. All I know is that I liked the Weakerthans. Then, in the summer of 2001, I saw them live and after that I loved them dearly. After a few more shows, they became my favourite.

Anyway, they did not disappoint last night. (They could never disappoint.) They played a lot of new material, all of which was amazing. Oh new Weakerthans record, how I await you! There was even a song about curling. Also, for one of the new songs Christine Fellows took the stage and played keyboard (I think). I couldn't see much on the stage, even though the venue was tiny. All I know was at the end of the song, John K said "Christine Fellows, everyone" which I assume meant that she was playing on stage. She is someone else who I love dearly.

I also enjoy how there are songs, that on CD you might overlook or which might just not be your favourite, but when they are played live become standouts. Last night, the song "The Prescience of Dawn" totally stood out for me. My breath was taken away. It was awesome.

Below are some pictures of the show. The first one is taken from my vantage point. The others were taken by my tall coworker. In desirable traits for a concert-going-buddy, height is definitely on the list.



So that concet will definitely tide me over for awhile. I hope that there will be another long Weakerthans-concert-related post coming in the near future.

I actually don't have to be at work today because all of my exams have been written and I'm caught up on my marking. Next week, I have to go in and tie up some lose ends, and on Thursday is our year-end staff lunch and then it's good-bye to the 2006/2007 school year!

I get to laze around my apt until when I have to catch my train to St. Ratford. Happy weekend to everyone!

3 comments:

wes said...

Glad you had a good time. :)

I will beg to differ with you about the best live band thing though. I am still of the belief that The Living End puts on the best live performance on the planet, and no, I am not biased. ;)

Enjoy the lazy weekend. :)

Kelly said...

lol, that's funny that you get stuck on the loving things dearly. I go through spurts of over using words or phrases. I tend to pick them up from people I am around.

Aaron said...

Apparently I'm partly dyslexic and always read 'Weakerthans' as 'Weatherkans'. Hearing the name on Going Coastal last night fixed all that though!